Paris Shopping Tips by MM212
Paris Shopping: 855 reviews and 1,188 photos
Hôtel Marcel Dassault
Occupying a magnificent hôtel particulier (mansion/townhouse) at the prominent location on rond-point des Champs-Elysées, Artcurial is an auction house, a bookshop, and an art gallery. The mansion, called Hôtel Marcel Dassault, was built in 1844 in a French Baroque/Neo-classical style. For art lovers, this place is heaven. When walking through the Champs-Elysées, stop by for a quick look, if not for the art, then for the magnificent 19th century palace and its beautifully decorated chambers.
Address: 7, rond-point des Champs-Elysées, Paris 8e
Le Louvre des Antiquaires, Oct 2007
Le Louvre des Antiquaires is, along with le Marché aux Puces, one of the world's greatest antique markets. The entire building acts as a shopping centre for some of the most expensive and rarest antiques in the world. The building in which it is housed was built by Napoléon III as the city's first luxury hotel, Grand Hôtel du Louvre, in preparation for the Universal Exhibition of 1855. The hotel contained shops on its ground floor which later became the department store, Grands Magasins du Louvre. The store eventually took over the entire building and lasted a century until it closed down in 1975. By 1978, the building was renovated and turned into the antique market that we see today. When walking down rue de Rivoli, stop into this free museum to see some amazing antiques, and if you can spare a Euro or 100,000, buy a few antiques to take home!
Address: 2, place du Palais Royal, Paris 1er
Glass dome - Dec 2008
Although I tend to shy away from large department stores, I must say that les Galeries Lafayette are quite exceptional. The initial formation of the department store began in the late 19th century, but it wasn't until the early 20th century that the Galeries Lafayette became known internationally as a trend setter, in direct competition with neighbouring le Printemps. It was during this Belle Epoque that stores around the world copied its model. Today, les Galeries Lafayette continue to be one of the most important department store conglomerates in the world, where one could purchase nearly everything possible. Les Galeries Lafayette on boulevard Haussmann often have the most amazing display of decorations during Christmas time. Well worth the visit around the holiday time.
Address: 40 Blvd Haussmann
Directions: Near the opera
Theme: Department Store
le Printemps, Nov 2007
Founded in 1865, le Printemps was one of the most innovative stores of its time. As a direct competitor of the neighbouring Galeries Lafayette, le Printemps matched its elegance and reputation. The large store occupies multiple buildings dating from as early as the 19th century and listed as historic monuments. Le Printemps continues to be a leading department store in France synonymous with luxury and quality.
Address: 64 Blvd Haussman
Theme: Department Store
More Reviews (113)
MM212's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 117 Reviews
- 475 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (475)
Videos in ParisSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
- Montmartre - Sacré Coeur- 580 Reviews, 1030 Photos
- Eiffel Tower- 816 Reviews, 1425 Photos
- Louvre- 781 Reviews, 1538 Photos
- Notre Dame de Paris- 648 Reviews, 1321 Photos
- Arc de Triomphe- 437 Reviews, 757 Photos
- Musée d'Orsay- 270 Reviews, 543 Photos
- Latin Quarter- 94 Reviews, 253 Photos
- Champs Elysées- 175 Reviews, 289 Photos
- Disneyland Paris- 111 Reviews, 168 Photos
- Place de la Concorde- 163 Reviews, 311 Photos
See All Paris Things to Do