Paris Off The Beaten Path Tips by MM212
Paris Off The Beaten Path: 1,984 reviews and 4,129 photos
l'Hôtel de Ville et Basilique St Denis - Nov 2010
Located just north of the City of Paris, Saint Denis contains one of the most important Gothic cathedrals in France: Basilique Saint-Denis. The Basilica-Cathedral is considered the first purely Gothic church ever built, one whose construction influenced religious architecture all over Europe. It is also the burial place for most of France's royals from the 7th to the 18th centuries, among them François 1er, Louis XIV and Marie-Antoinette. Although the town of Saint Denis was once completely separate from Paris, it has become one of many suburbs absorbed by the large agglomeration as urbanisation expanded. In recent decades, Saint Denis has been plagued with problems due to its high - and badly marginalised - immigrant population. As a result, the town offers little other than a few important historic sights, ones that are well-worth the detour. Saint Denis is a mere 15 minute metro ride from the centre of Paris on Metro (line 13) or RER D.
For more detailed information, take a look at the separate Saint Denis page.
Developed in the 1960's as a business district, la Défense came back to light after the construction of la Grande Arche in 1990. La Défense is officially located outside the city of Paris and completes the axis that runs from le Louvre and through l'Arc de Triomphe. Ambitious building projects continue to be built in what has become one of Europe's biggest business districts. Apart from la Grande Arche, the stunning Mitterand-era cube, there is little for tourists to see, as most of the district is dedicated to businesses.
Paris' main flee market, le Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen, the world's largest, is an incredible open air museum. It is also thought to be the world's first flee market, dating from the 17th century. The quantity and quality of its antiques are unmatched anywhere in the world. Although the largest number of shops is dedicated to French antiques, other dealers specialise in nearly every possible type of antiques. Bargains can still be found, but beware, these antique dealers are well aware of the value of their merchandise. Le Marché aux Puces is located in Saint-Ouen, just outside Paris by Porte Saint-Ouen, and is well worth a visit, particulary on Sunday morning (it is only open on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays).
More Reviews (115)
MM212's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 118 Reviews
- 490 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Videos in ParisSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 118 reviews, 490 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 78 reviews, 317 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
- Eiffel Tower- 820 Reviews, 1,429 Photos
- Montmartre - Sacré Coeur- 593 Reviews, 1,071 Photos
- Notre Dame de Paris- 652 Reviews, 1,332 Photos
- Louvre- 789 Reviews, 1,568 Photos
- Arc de Triomphe- 439 Reviews, 768 Photos
- Musée d'Orsay- 273 Reviews, 551 Photos
- Latin Quarter- 96 Reviews, 256 Photos
- Place de la Concorde- 166 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Dômes - Hôtel des Invalides- 238 Reviews, 556 Photos
- Catacombes- 54 Reviews, 100 Photos
See All Paris Things to Do