"São Paulo" Top 5 Page for this destination São Paulo by MM212
São Paulo Travel Guide: 852 reviews and 1,745 photos
A place of great contrast, Brazil's financial powerhouse and South America's largest city, São Paulo is an overwhelming city. The mere mention of its name stirs up strong preconceived notions: unsafe, crime ridden, and polluted, all of which could easily deter a visitor. Add to this an ocean of concrete terror and an often dismally grey weather during its summer months and the city is sure to be omitted from any tourist itinerary in Brazil. Yet, those who of us who insist on visiting São Paulo will find many enchanting and rewarding surprises.
As the centre of finance and business in the largest country in South America, São Paulo has wealth beyond any city on the continent. This tremendous fortune has been directed towards making parts of the city as attractive as any capital in the developed world and providing amenities to match. It has also created a market for luxury, from exquisite restaurants, exciting nightlife and excellent shopping, to sleek art galleries, rich museums and world-class music venues, that could be the envy of many Western cities. On the other hand, with close to 20 million inhabitants, São Paulo suffers from the ailments of third world cities, from extreme poverty and crime, to neglect and sprawling concrete overdevelopment. Crime, however, seems to be concentrated in the favelas in the city's periphery where much of the less fortunate population lives. The city centre can also be unsafe, particularly after dark, but it is far from being a war zone. In fact, during the day, tourists walk around with little concern, but nevertheless, one must always be prudent and keep a watchful eye. At the same time, the wealthy areas of Jardins and Ibirapuera are as safe (and clean) as any city in the Western World. These contrasts between wealth and poverty are hard to miss as one travels from downtown São Paulo to the the pristine district of Jardins and its surroundings.
Although São Paulo is graced by many stunning parks and centuries old colonial buildings, as well as creative modern architecture, it is city to be savoured indoors more than outdoors. Whether one enjoys visiting art museums or sampling delicious cuisine, dancing at night or attending concerts, São Paulo's indoor spaces will not disappoint. Once one gets past the intimidating image the city first portrays, São Paulo quickly becomes a fascinating place. And if one is fortunate enough to meet the local paulistanos, one would find them to be industrious, civilized and hard working people, who have still retained the joyful, friendly and fun loving attitude for which Brazilians are best known.
Located at Unique Hotel, the rooftop bar and restaurant is one of São Paulo's trendiest and most popular bars. It was... more travel advice
Despite being an ocean of concrete, São Paulo is filled with majestic trees and large green spaces. Many of its streets,... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
São Paulo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short glimpses at São Paulo , my place....."
- "SÃO PAULO - SAMPA - MY BIG URBAN SHELTER"
- "Cidade da Garoa"
- "Who am I to give advice?"
- "São Paulo"
- "Gasoline fumes and roasting meat...aaahhhh!"
- "More on Sao Paulo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in São Paulo
- Hotels in São Paulo
- Transportation in São Paulo
- Nightlife in São Paulo
- Restaurants in São Paulo
- Shopping in São Paulo
- Warnings and Dangers in São Paulo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in São Paulo
- 66 Reviews
- 190 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to São Paulo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in São Paulo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues