"Amber (Amer)" Amer by MM212
Amer Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 284 photos
Founded by the Kachhawaha dynasty in the 11th century, Amber (sometimes referred to as Amer) remained as the base and capital city of the maharajas until the 18th century. They ruled the surrounding area from Amber as they fought competing clans in neighbouring fiefdoms. In the 16th century, an alliance forged with the Mughal Empire brought great wealth and security to Amber and its rulers. They deployed this new found wealth in the construction of extravagant temples and the splendid Amber Fort Palace, their residence and seat of the government. Amber's golden age, however, only lasted until the 18th century when insufficient water resources and an increasing population necessitated the relocation of the capital. Thus in 1727, Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II commissioned the construction of a new purposefully built city he named Jaipur, a short distance further south. Thereafter, Amber declined in importance, but its Palace Fort continued to be maintained for the periodic visits by the maharajas to the important family temple, Shila Devi.
Amber makes a great day trip from Jaipur and is a crucial one for a more complete understanding of Jaipur's history.
Amber is about a 15 minute drive north of Jaipur, on the way to Delhi. Public transport is available, but if you have... more travel advice
For those with more time, the old quarter of Amber has a fascinating mix of ancient temples, narrow passages and old... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Amer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amber (Amer)"
- "The city of the Raja Alan Singh"
- "Amber Fort"
- "Amber Fort"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amer
- Hotels in Amer
- Transportation in Amer
- Restaurants in Amer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amer
- 24 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Amer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amer
Photos in AmerSee All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 102 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues