"Fatehpur Sikri" Fatehpur Sikri by MM212
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide: 240 reviews and 743 photos
One of several ephemeral capitals of the Mughal Empire, Fatehpur Sikri was built in 1571 by Emperor Akbar. The city consists of a magnificent grand mosque and an exquisite imperial palace complex, surrounded by numerous lesser structures, ranging from ramparts and caravanserais to palaces and mausoleums. While most of the architecture of the city is typically Mughal, the imperial palace complex exhibits a unique blend of Hindu, Jain and Islamic styles. The city's specific site, about 40 km west of Agra, was chosen by Emperor Akbar in order to remain close to a revered Sufi saint, Sheikh Salim Chishti, whose mausoleum is in the courtyard of the city's grand mosque. The emperor ruled from within the imperial palace complex until 1585 when the capital was moved to Lahore (in 1599, Akbar moved the capital back to Agra yet again and ruled from there until his death in 1605. He was buried in Sikandra, just north-west of Agra). Soon after the construction of Fatehpur Sikri it became evident that water shortage in the area could not sustain a growing capital of an empire, and the city was thus swiftly abandoned in favour of Lahore 14 years later. This quick evacuation has left us with a 16th century architectural ensemble frozen in time and devoid of subsequent modifications, one whose importance has earned it a place among the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
Note: Fatehpur Sikri lies within the State of Uttar Pradesh, very close to the border with Rajasthan. For some reason, VT shows it as part of Rajasthan, which is an error.
Fatehpur Sikri is located in the State of Uttar Pradesh, near the border with Rajasthan. It is about one hour west of... more travel advice
For those with more time to explore Fatehpur Sikri, there are numerous other interesting ruins beyond Jami Masjid and... more travel advice
MM212's Related Pages
Fatehpur Sikri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fatehpur Sikri"
- "The GRAND center of Akbar's world...for 15 years."
- "Fatehpur Sikri - The Abandoned City"
- "AN ABANDONED CITY-AKBARS FATEHPUR SIKRI"
- "Fatehpur Sikri-Victory town!!"
- "Fatehpur Sikri"
- "Fathepur Sikri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fatehpur Sikri
- Hotels in Fatehpur Sikri
- Transportation in Fatehpur Sikri
- Restaurants in Fatehpur Sikri
- Shopping in Fatehpur Sikri
- Warnings and Dangers in Fatehpur Sikri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fatehpur Sikri
- 30 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Fatehpur Sikri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fatehpur Sikri
Photos in Fatehpur SikriSee All Photos (108)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Intro, 142 reviews, 502 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 117 reviews, 475 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 130 reviews, 443 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Damascus Intro, 110 reviews, 411 photos, 8 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 101 reviews, 387 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aleppo Intro, 84 reviews, 332 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beirut Intro, 95 reviews, 316 photos, 7 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 79 reviews, 322 photos, 10 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 76 reviews, 304 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 74 reviews, 303 photos, 6 travelogues