"Shagra .. My Childhood Town!" Shaqra' by The_Saudi_Dude

Shaqra' Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos

so much memories in my mind about my ex-hometown!

Oh man ! .. so much memories in my mind about my ex-hometown Shagra which I left in August ,2001. I haven't been there since about a year but I still have some friends there and I wish I can visit it again to live my childhood memories again.

It is not that great town .. it is small .. the population is about 35'000.

You can go in a circle around Shagra in less than 25 minutes on medium speed.

The name "Shagra" means "blonde" or "blondie" which is taken from "the blonde mountain" which is north of Shagra.

It is 190 KMs northwest to Riyadh .. the road to it is not bad. It is double lane from Riyadh to the town of Hurimla (85 KMs from Riyadh) .. and it is still double lane highyway for a few kilometers .. then it is one lane until about 10 KMs of Shagra. The gas stations are a few so be sure to fill in the tank and be careful of camels on the road.

Shagra's important because it is a good farms area that surrounds it from everywhere. And also, was strategically trading place with Yemen and Kuwait (and maybe some other countries/cities).

There a few famous traders were born and raised in Shagra such as: Aljomiah Family, Al-Essa (Chevrolet Agencies). Al-Ruqaib family (owner of Sahara Mall). And many others. . And maybe, there are others.

Shagra has a history!

Shagra is an old town and I have no source to be specific about it's age but it is absolutely not less than 500 years.

One of the most famous historical landscapes is the old wall of Shagra which was surrounding the old town to protect it from invaders. The Turk tried to capture Shagra and the town fought back for three months then the Turk destroyed parts of the wall .. then it was impssible to fight .. so, people of Shgara made a truce with the Turk.

The Subaie Palace!

One of the most famous historical sights that you must go to is "The Subaie Palace" .. it used to belong to the vice mayor of Shagra who is last name was "Subaie" or "Al-Subaie".

• Intro Updated Mar 13, 2007

• Mar 13, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Thank u so much for such a wonderful story about d' history of Shaqra. It's a great thing to be able to know the place where you are staying as stranger- ME. I would like to add a comment that people here in Shaqra are accomodating n' compassionate.

The_Saudi_Dude Used To Live Here!

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Shaqra'

Have you been to Shaqra'?

Latest Activity in Shaqra'

Friends