"The smallest country on Planet Earth" Vatican City by Applelyn
Vatican City Travel Guide: 1,267 reviews and 3,878 photos
According to tradition, the basilica is built on top of the body of St. Peter. It was rebuilt a couple of times. In 1547, Pope Paul III asked Michelangelo to design this new one and supervise its construction. But Michelangelo died before its completion and his student, Carlo Maderno completed it by adding two more bays and turned it into a latin cross. One day in a week, the Pope will meet the people and give his blessing.
I didnt know that Vatican City had a security system as secured as the airports. You even need a visa to enter its offical grounds. As for the entrance to St. Peter's Basilica, you dont need a visa. The Vatican has its own currency too, though it is more for commemorative purposes. It has only 1000 citizens living there with its own schools, accommodation and shops. Sometimes I wonder, do we regard them as citizens of Rome or Vatican? :) ...Just Me.
One of the world finest guards...the Swiss Guards. Their uniform is designed by Michelangelo. I really like the uniform. First wonder, where can I buy them? Second wonder, are they weapons real? Third wonder, why did Michelangelo designed them this way? :) These guards are specially trained by the Swiss and selected to guard the Vatican :P Cool...
- Cons:U must love Arts
A tour in the Vatican is not completed without a visit of Sistine Chapel. The Sistine Chapel is designed by Baccio... more travel advice
Applelyn's Related Pages
Vatican City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vatican City - Holy See"
- "The Holy See: A Pilgrim's Report"
- "Destination: Citta Del Vaticano"
- "A country in a City!"
- "VATICAN CITY"
- "Vatican CHRISTMAS 2005"
- "weekend at the Vatican"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vatican City
- Hotels in Vatican City
- Transportation in Vatican City
- Nightlife in Vatican City
- Restaurants in Vatican City
- Shopping in Vatican City
- Warnings and Dangers in Vatican City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vatican City
- 2 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Vatican City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vatican City
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 44 reviews, 143 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 23 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Bintan Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos
- Genoa Intro, 12 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zürich Intro, 13 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 12 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Perth Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Rome Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues