"Arras" Top 5 Page for this destination Arras by Applelyn
Arras Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 260 photos
The original settlers werre the Celtic tribe of the Atrebates and it later became a Roman garrison town known as Atrebatum. In 17th century, the fortifications upgraded by Vauban helping keep it in French hands. Arras soon became an important centre for sugar beet farming and processing as well as a prosperous market centre.
During the First World War, many battles were fought in Arras. But the French held on to the city against the Germans. However, it was heaviliy damaged and had to be rebuilt after the war. In the Second World War the town was occupied by the Germans and it was suspected that many French Resistance members were executed in the Arras citadel.
Walking round the city, you can find many traces of the war such as tablets remembering soldiers. You can also find some olden style telephone booths around the city. The buildings and architecture depicts the history of Arras. The walls allowed me to experience the defensive mood left from the world wars. They felt cold. War had hardened the hearts of Man and killed all innocence and laughter.
- Pros:Lots of historical memories of the war
- Cons:Too many walls
- In a nutshell:An enlarged picture of olden France
A smaller door in a gate....an olden telephone booth and dial tone....just like in the old films. more travel advice
It is a little cafe in Place des Heros. During summer, you can sit along the aisle and sip a cup of coffee with a nicely... more travel advice
Applelyn's Related Pages
Arras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arras:Even if not very known the turning is worth!"
- "Arras and its beautiful squares"
- "Awesome squares, beautiful town"
- "A one hour stroll"
- "Arras-ing abart?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arras
- Hotels in Arras
- Transportation in Arras
- Restaurants in Arras
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Arras
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Arras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arras
Photos in ArrasSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 44 reviews, 143 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 23 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 12 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Bintan Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos
- Zürich Intro, 13 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 12 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Perth Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 14 reviews, 44 photos
- Rome Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Latest Arras hotel reviews