"Hanoi" Hanoi by Applelyn
Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,747 reviews and 6,065 photos
On one of his tour to the city, the King saw a dragon hovering around it. Thus He named it "Thang Long" or "City of Ascending Dragon". It became the capital of Vietnam in AD 1010. Through many incarnations, today it is known as Hanoi which means "bend in the river". Because of its strategic location along the important waterway "Red River" in Vietnam, Hanoi had flourished and attracted many businesses from all over the world.
A common street scene where hawkers peddling with pendulous burdens of local produce hanging at the two ends of a shoulder pole. When tired, they positioned themselves at streets' junction for customers to patronise them. The products included yummy sweet potatoes and refreshing pineapples.
Cyclos are part of the scene in Hanoi especially in the old quarters. You will see loads of cyclos outside your hotel. They will normally quote you about USD 2 for a 2km trip. But if you have the courage to bargain, you can get it for VND 10 000 for it. You can also hop into cabs but they can be very unreasonable and the prices are too high for short distance.
- Pros:Cheap goods and fresh seafood
- Cons:Dusty and noisy
- In a nutshell:An interesting city that worth a trip
I like its pottery. The quality of its product is good and the prices are reasonable for its quality. The earthly and... more travel advice
The villagers in this village have been weaving silk for generations and many locals goes to them for their Ao Zai and... more travel advice
- Cab drivers
- See All Transport provided by Vietnam Airlines
- See All Temple Trips
- See All Walking round the old quarters
Applelyn's Related Pages
Hanoi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
- "Good morning Hanoi !"
- "Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
- "Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"
- "MY 1ST STOP IN VIETNAM WAS......................."
- "Ignoring Hanoi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanoi
- Hotels in Hanoi
- Transportation in Hanoi
- Nightlife in Hanoi
- Restaurants in Hanoi
- Shopping in Hanoi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hanoi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanoi
- 23 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Hanoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanoi
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 44 reviews, 143 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 23 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 12 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Bintan Intro, 16 reviews, 55 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos
- Zürich Intro, 13 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 12 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Perth Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues