"ACROSS THE UNIVERSE" Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool by SapineKuu
Liverpool Travel Guide: 1,281 reviews and 2,296 photos
So 2008 has arrived and with it Liverpool 'Capital of Culture.' Mmmm... well at the moment 'Capital of Construction' might be more appropriate! Still things are starting to take shape with the opening of the new 10,000 seat concert arena and long awaited Hard Day's Night Beatles Hotel. Other projects are also starting to gather pace including the extension of the inland waterway, a leviathan shopping mall, liner terminal and restored Bluecoat gallery.
Taro Chiezos Super Lamb Banana (above) has also been busy breeding and the city is due to see the arrival of 100 genetic variations during the capital of culture year.
After many false starts Liverpool’s premier Beatles Hotel has finally opened its doors. Located on the corner of the home of the Cavern on Mathew Street the hotel is pretty guaranteed to do brisk business. The hotel includes a couple of bars and a restaurant. Even if you can’t afford to stay here, paupers can share the experience in a nicely appointed public bar complete with waitress service and Beatles music. When I visited it had only been open a week and service was a bit ‘Fawlty Towers’ but hopefully nothing a sound thrashing of the Chef won’t cure.
Make sure you catch this installation by Antony Gormley titled 'Another Place' Mr Gormley is known for doing splendid things with iron including the now iconic 'Angel of the North'. This photo shows one of his 100 iron figures cast from a mold of his own body. They hang out on Crosby beach a short train ride from Liverpool City centre. VT's from Cuxhaven in Germany, Stravenger in Norway and De Panne in Belgium may recognise them as they have previously indulged in a spot of nude bathing in these places before sampling the icy waters of Liverpool bay.
Antony explains that 'Another Place' seeks to harness the ebb and flow of the tide to explore mans relationship with nature. For the local kids however dressing them up provides a source of endless entertainment.
- Pros:Music, urban regeneration, architecture, humour, universities, free motorcycle parking
- Cons:litter, anti-social behaviour, a lack of trees
Located in the rather Hogwart’esque Victoria building the Victoria Museum & Gallery is finally open and free! Designed... more travel advice
After many false starts Liverpool’s premier Beatles Hotel has finally opened its doors. Located on the corner of the... more travel advice
SapineKuu's Related Pages
Liverpool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liverpool - European Capital of Culture 2008"
- "ACROSS THE UNIVERSE"
- "More Than The Beatles...."
- "Liverpool - a dream come true!"
- "Liverpool Revisited"
- "Beatles everywhere!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liverpool
- Hotels in Liverpool
- Transportation in Liverpool
- Nightlife in Liverpool
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Shopping in Liverpool
- Warnings and Dangers in Liverpool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liverpool
- 38 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Liverpool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liverpool
Photos in LiverpoolSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Liverpool Intro, 38 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ljubljana Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Reykjavík Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Oslo Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Poznan Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Göteborg Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- London Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
- Bologna Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Tallinn County Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Uppsala Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos