"Great Base For Exploring" Top 5 Page for this destination Portrush by 43beckos
Portrush Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 60 photos
Portrush itself is a small harbour town, which is ideal as a base for exploring the Giants Causeway, Bushmills etc, and is probably the best place for biggish hotels in the area.
If you are looking for some seaside entertainment, then Portrush boasts the largest amusement park in Ireland, Barrys Amusements.
Portrush seems to be going through a bit of a regeneration, with a lot of new developments appearing, especially along the waterfront ( see review of 55 Degrees North ), but it is the stunning views of the Antrim Coast on the roads between Portrush & Bushmills that i will remember
I can honestly say that the people in Portrush were some of the most friendliest i have ever met, with everybody enquiring if we were enjoying our visit, how long we were over for etc etc.
Maybe it's because the Irish have an affinity with us Scousers ( there are a lot of Liverpool FC fans in Northern Ireland), but I have always found Ireland a very welcoming place, and on this my first visit to Northern Ireland, I found that everybody was a friend. ( with the possible exception of the crabby woman on the car hire desk at the airport)
Make sure that you try some of the honest Irish Fare that is on offer in this region, especially those based around potatoes, eg Colcannon ( Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage), Champ ( creamed potatoes with spring onion ) which are delicious.
Forget about the waistline, you can work it all off at the Giants Causeway
- Pros:The Views, The People, The Food
- Cons:Can Rain A Lot
- In a nutshell:Immerse yourself in the legend of the Giants Causeway
Large Irish Inn, which caters for passing trade from the nearby Giants Causeway. Hard to choose from the menu as they... more travel advice
Although I rave about the food at the Griffin, the decor could do with a bit of a refurb. The ambience of the restaurant... more travel advice
43beckos' Related Pages
Portrush Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Worth a trip to the North Coast"
- "The Port of the Promontory"
- "Great Base For Exploring"
- "Portstewart's Ugly Big Sister"
- "Gateway to the Causeway"
- "Back to the 50s/60s/70s........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portrush
- Hotels in Portrush
- Transportation in Portrush
- Nightlife in Portrush
- Restaurants in Portrush
- Warnings and Dangers in Portrush
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Portrush
- 4 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Portrush?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portrush
Top 10 Pages
- Marrakesh Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- L'Alpe-d'Huez Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Khett Siem Reab 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Venice Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- San Juan Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Riga Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Portrush hotel reviews
- McLaughlin's Inn on the Coast
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Comfort Hotel Portrush
- 380 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Eglinton Hotel
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Adelphi Portrush
- 293 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Antrim House
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Skerries Holiday Park
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Clarmont Guest House
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013