"Bethel....the hub of the bush" Bethel by global-wanderer
Bethel Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 138 photos
I came to Bethel in February of 2005 after living in Hawaii....what a shock to the system!! It is an interesting place but not for everyone! The sun comes up in the winter about 10:00 am...and is gone by 5:00 PM. In the summer the sun barely sets. So...you have to get used to sleeping in the light and getting up in the dark!
The local Alaskans are Yupik and wonderful people.
Bethel is built on a large river called the Kuskokwim.
Many of the locals do substitance hunting/fishing. Every season has a differnt thing they concentrate on. In the summer, the salmon are running and many other types of fish. They go out to these places on the river called Fish Camp and spend a month or two there. Here they catch, clean and prepare the fish for the coming fall/winter.
The main river coming through our area is the Kuskokwim. Barges come down from Anchorage with supplies and freight and even cars! These supplies are then off loaded onto smaller barges, where they continue down river to the smaller villages. During the winter the only way for supplies to come in is by plane. This makes everything here VERY expensive! Thus, that's why so many people fish and hunt when they can.
- Pros:the people are great...native culture abounds
- Cons:expensive living...no theatres...
- In a nutshell:A place to find solitude and local culture!
global-wanderer's Related Pages
Bethel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bethel - Gateway to the Kuskokwim Bush"
- "Bethel....the hub of the bush"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bethel
- Hotels in Bethel
- Transportation in Bethel
- Restaurants in Bethel
- Shopping in Bethel
- Warnings and Dangers in Bethel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bethel
- 0 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Bethel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bethel
Photos in BethelSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Bethel Intro, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talkeetna Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Laos Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amman Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Budapest Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Velence 1 review, 4 photos
- Malaysia Intro, 3 photos