"Welcome to Kosice, Slovakia!" Slovakia by monica71
Slovakia Travel Guide: 3,981 reviews and 10,227 photos
Everybody knows the history of Slovakia, therefore I will not write anything about that here. I really want to write about one of the towns I fell in love with while visiting Slovakia: Kosice.
Kosice is the second largest city in the country after Bratislava. The first mention of the city dates back to 1230, when it was referred to as "Villa Cassa". On May 7, 1369 the town received a coat of arms from king Ludwig of Anjou. This was the first coat of arms of a city in Europe which was certified by a coat of arms charter. May 7 is a very important day to Kosice and it is celebrated every year as City of Kosice Day.
Kosice is such a nice and vibrant town that totally caught me by surprise. The downtown area is small and easily walkable, but it has so much to offer that it will take you a while to absorb it all.
I stayed in Kosice for 5 days. I feel that I could still spend more time here without being bored or wanting to leave the town. It is such a nice town and it is sad that not too many people are visiting here.
The people in town are very friendly, in general. I do not speak the language and got along fine in English. Lots of people speak English and are willing to help you discover their little town if you ask for directions.
You may also run into some less friendly people (I had 2 encounters like that), but don't let that bother you. Enjoy your stay in town and explore it as much as you can. All towns have some people that are more friendlier than others, so expect to find the same in your travels.
- Pros:beautiful town with lots of history compacted on a small area
- Cons:unreliable museums schedules and no English signs in front of places of interest
This is another building that you will notice while strolling downtown. It has a very impressive facade. It was built in... more travel advice
Dominican Church is the oldest building in town. It was built in 1290. It is easy to find it because of the pointy red... more travel advice
monica71's Related Pages
Slovakia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be ..."
- "Under-rated, small-big country!"
- "Slovakia; Czechoslovakia's other half"
- "Our Southern Neighbours"
- "Slovakia - well worth visiting !"
- "Paul2001's Slovakia Page"
- "My Slovakia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovakia
- Hotels in Slovakia
- Transportation in Slovakia
- Nightlife in Slovakia
- Restaurants in Slovakia
- Shopping in Slovakia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovakia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Slovakia
- 15 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Slovakia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovakia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Costa Rica Intro, 71 reviews, 285 photos, 7 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 83 reviews, 245 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Charles Intro, 53 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gatlinburg Intro, 28 reviews, 120 photos, 3 travelogues
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 57 reviews, 86 photos
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bucharest Intro, 25 reviews, 64 photos
- The Bahamas Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination U. S. Virgin Islands Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos
- Slovakia Intro, 15 reviews, 51 photos
Top Slovakia hotels
- Bratislava Hotels
- 1958 Reviews - 4347 Photos
- Kosice Hotels
- 154 Reviews - 401 Photos
- Zilina Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 80 Photos
- Stary Smokovec Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 39 Photos
- Trnava Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 153 Photos
- Presov Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 41 Photos
- Tatranska Lomnica Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 70 Photos
- Piest'any Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 93 Photos
- Nove Mesto nad Vahom Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Liptovsky Mikulas Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Zdiar Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 32 Photos
- Trencin Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 160 Photos
- Strbske Pleso Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 63 Photos
- Poprad Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Nitra Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 34 Photos