"Lesotho: The Mountain Kingdom" Lesotho by Babzz
Lesotho Travel Guide: 298 reviews and 846 photos
*Became independent from Britain on October 4th, 1966
*Present monarch: King Letsie III, great-great-grandson of Moshoeshoe I (who originally united tribes scattered by Zulu and Matebele raids to form the Basotho nation between 1815-1829)
*Ethnicity: Sotho >99%; all other<1%
*Languages: Sesotho & English (official); also Xhosa, Zulu
*Only country in the world entirely above 1500m altitude
*The highest mountain in southern Africa, Thabana-Ntlenyana, at 3482m, sits at its border with South Africa in the Drakensberg range
*Houses many Bushman rock paintings
*Handicrafts: weaving (wool and mohair tapestries, mats, crochet garments, rugs), woven grasswork (mats, baskets), knitwear (clothing), sheepskin products (shoes, clothing), leather craft, jewellery (traditionally made from natural products such as seeds, stones, and quills; modern additions of metals, ebony), pottery
We stayed for two nights camping. Good ablutions and sink for washing, cooking. Lovely grounds with gardens and... more travel advice
Babzz's Related Pages
Lesotho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Three generations trek over the Roof of Africa!"
- "Lesotho - The Kingdom in the sky"
- "LESOTHO. THE KINGDOM OF THE SKY"
- "LESOTHO - KINGDOM IN THE SKY"
- "Basotho Village Treks"
- "Mountain Kingdom of Southern Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lesotho
- Hotels in Lesotho
- Transportation in Lesotho
- Nightlife in Lesotho
- Restaurants in Lesotho
- Shopping in Lesotho
- Warnings and Dangers in Lesotho
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lesotho
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Lesotho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lesotho
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Holguín Intro, 4 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Val Marie Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakville Intro, 34 reviews
- Port Rowan Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 3 reviews, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Point Pelee Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Pelee Island Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Cypress Hills Provincial Park Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- South Africa Intro, 1 review, 23 photos, 2 travelogues