"Point Pelee National Park of Canada (PPNP)" Point Pelee by Babzz

Point Pelee Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 132 photos

I had the opportunity to work at Point Pelee for the summer of 2005. We were doing a study on a tree species (Blue Ash) at risk in Southwestern Ontario, though abundant in the park (we tagged over 2000 trees!). We lived in the park in a bungalow reserved for employees and researchers staying at the park (so when you see those houses beside the road, that's what they're for!). In my free time, I had the luxury of walking over to the beach to suntan.

When I first arrived, I was surprised by the small size of the park. I had only been to Algonquin Provincial Park of Ontario prior to this, which is huge, and assumed Point Pelee would also be of considerable size. Alas no, it's one of the smallest parks in Canada, if not the smallest. Neveretheless, there is a lot to do here.

We arrived during the peak of Spring bird migration. I've never seen so many birders so hell-bent on seeing that rare bird that they'll risk their lives running in front of a moving car!! It was really fun to watch, but so were the birds.

Other activities include canoe trips on the marsh, walks on the marsh boardwalk, picnics by or on the beach, and nature tours provided by the wonderful staff at the visitor centre.

Point Pelee has many rare or uncommon species of animals and plants including Prickly Pear Cactus, Blue Ash, Common Hackberry, Common Hoptree, Northern Flying Squirrel...not to mention many gorgeous birds coming through during migration.

Official Park Website
Discover Pelee

• Last visit to Point Pelee: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 10, 2007

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM

different perspective since you stayed longer here. xclent warning tip. all tips are extremely informative even without pics. proves one can live without pics hehehe. we have planned to be here in end of march, april and finally in 1st half of may 2009.

• mim95's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2007 at 8:33 AM

Visited Pelee many years ago for the monarch migration. Must be an interesting experience to live there for a couple of months.

• cokes's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Its great that you love nature so much. I guess nothing beats the outdoors ;0P nice page Barbara

Babzz

“~Live, Love, Laugh~”

Badges & Stats in Point Pelee

Have you been to Point Pelee?