"Point Pelee National Park of Canada (PPNP)" Point Pelee by Babzz
Point Pelee Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 132 photos
I had the opportunity to work at Point Pelee for the summer of 2005. We were doing a study on a tree species (Blue Ash) at risk in Southwestern Ontario, though abundant in the park (we tagged over 2000 trees!). We lived in the park in a bungalow reserved for employees and researchers staying at the park (so when you see those houses beside the road, that's what they're for!). In my free time, I had the luxury of walking over to the beach to suntan.
When I first arrived, I was surprised by the small size of the park. I had only been to Algonquin Provincial Park of Ontario prior to this, which is huge, and assumed Point Pelee would also be of considerable size. Alas no, it's one of the smallest parks in Canada, if not the smallest. Neveretheless, there is a lot to do here.
We arrived during the peak of Spring bird migration. I've never seen so many birders so hell-bent on seeing that rare bird that they'll risk their lives running in front of a moving car!! It was really fun to watch, but so were the birds.
Other activities include canoe trips on the marsh, walks on the marsh boardwalk, picnics by or on the beach, and nature tours provided by the wonderful staff at the visitor centre.
Point Pelee has many rare or uncommon species of animals and plants including Prickly Pear Cactus, Blue Ash, Common Hackberry, Common Hoptree, Northern Flying Squirrel...not to mention many gorgeous birds coming through during migration.
Official Park Website
Watch out for ticks, mosquitos, stable flies, deer flies, chiggers, and poison ivy. I'm sure this list isn't exhaustive!... more travel advice
This is the largest and, in my opinion, loveliest beach at the park. Picnic benches and charcoal grills are available... more travel advice
Babzz's Related Pages
Point Pelee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "POINT PELEE NATIONAL PARK"
- "Point Pelee National Park"
- "Point Pelee National Park of Canada (PPNP)"
- "Pelee Winery Veneyards Inc"
- "LEAMINGTON THE TOMATO CAPITAL OF CANADA"
- "Where it's actually warm in Canada"
- "Most southernly point in Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Point Pelee
- Hotels in Point Pelee
- Transportation in Point Pelee
- Restaurants in Point Pelee
- Shopping in Point Pelee
- Warnings and Dangers in Point Pelee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Point Pelee
- 14 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Point Pelee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Point Pelee
- updated a Point Pelee Travel Page "Point Pelee National Park of Canada (PPNP)"
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: Itinerary help!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Point Pelee National Park of Canada (PPNP)"
- Wrote a Review Critters out to get you! in Point Pelee Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of CoAir13's Point Pelee travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Holguín Intro, 4 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Val Marie Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakville Intro, 34 reviews
- Port Rowan Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Point Pelee Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 3 reviews, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pelee Island Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Cypress Hills Provincial Park Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- South Africa Intro, 1 review, 23 photos, 2 travelogues