"Port Dover" Port Dover by Babzz
Port Dover Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 13 photos
I've been to Port Dover twice to date. Both times I felt like I was warped back in time to the sixties. On the main street there is a big hot dog building, for lack of a better term, that sells its famous Schneiders hotdogs and fries to eager customers lined up half-way down the street. I haven't tried one yet, but I suppose I'll have to at some point. I HAVE sampled the fish and chips though, which is a must if you're staying in any of the towns on Lake Erie-famous for its perch and pickerel.
I was hoping to take photos during this recent visit, but it was a miserable, rainy weekend, so hopefully next time!
Port Dover rests on the shores of Lake Erie and so it has some nice beaches to visit. The downtown streets are lined with lots of little shops to browse. In the warmer months there are lots of festivals and events such as Summer Festival, FishFest, Perch Derby, and Polar Bear Plunge. Every Friday the 13th, bikers and motorcyle enthusiasts from all over North America flock to Port Dover to celebrate the joys of riding.
There are also a lot of small towns in the region: Simcoe (bigger than Port Dover), Turkey Point, Port Rowan, Long Point, St. Williams, Jarvis, Delhi, etc., each of which offers its own things to do and see, and special events.
For nature lovers, there is a plethora of conservation lands and provincial parks in the region as well.
- Pros:Small town feel; Very friendly, helpful locals
- Cons:Nowhere to park in the summer!!
Babzz's Related Pages
Port Dover Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Port Dover
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Port Dover?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Dover
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winnipeg Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Holguín Intro, 4 reviews, 40 photos, 4 travelogues
- Val Marie Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oakville Intro, 34 reviews
- Port Rowan Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Parque Nacional Tikal Intro, 3 reviews, 23 photos, 4 travelogues
- Point Pelee Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Pelee Island Intro, 13 reviews, 12 photos
- Cypress Hills Provincial Park Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- South Africa Intro, 1 review, 23 photos, 2 travelogues