"What's New?" Babzz's Profile

Current Location: Calgary

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

NOT-SO-DAILY DAWDLINGS

Bought a tent trailer this summer - woo!

TRAVELS

I've technically been travelling since childhood. My first trip was to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, U.S.A. with my family in the mid-eighties. Afterwards we went to Czechoslovakia in 1989 to visit my relatives, whom I was meeting for the first time. There were subsequent trips to Europe and a Caribbean cruise, but I was a teenager during these vacations, and didn't really care much about anything outside of what my friends were doing, where the next party was, what the newest fashions were!

I developed a serious interest in travelling, a.k.a "The Travel Bug," during the 6 months that I spent in Europe in 2004 studying abroad. My exchange program landed me at Keele University in England, but in my free time I also travelled around continental Europe. The day I returned home, I cried because I didn't want it to stop.

Ten years and two kids later....I am fortunate to have a career that allows me to spend time hiking outdoors observing wildlife in beautiful wilderness - and getting paid for it! I also continue to travel locally with regularity, and on occasion internationally, dragging my protesting children along with me.

Recent travels:

Okanagan, BC summer 2015
Nova Scotia July 2015
Texas 2016

READINGS

It's sad to think I don't have enough years in my life to read all the books I would like to!

Currently reading: "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

On my waiting list: "A History of the World in Six Glasses" by Tom Standage; "The Life of Trees" by Peter Thomas; "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin (off and on, someday I'll get through it!!)

Just finished: "Game of Thrones" series by George R. R. Martin

If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as truth was really true, there would be little hope of advance.
~Orville Wright

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land.
~Gilbert K. Chesterton

Keeping an open mind is a virtue - but...not so open your brains fall out.
~Carl Sagan

The questions you ask set limits on the answers you find...
~Temple Grandin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
~Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel)

Walk in the woods...as often as you can...there's something intangible to be gained from being in nature.
~Robert Bateman

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.
~Tom Pomeranz

Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out.
~Art Linkletter

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy".
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.
~John Lennon

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
~Neale Donald Walsch

• Intro Updated Sep 16, 2014

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I hope that your special day is full of fun and happiness and everything that you enjoy.

• kahnjetta's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Happy Birthday Barbara ! I hope you enjoy your special day.

• Sienlu's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Happy birthday Barbara

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2014 at 2:33 AM

I hope that you have a great birthday today!

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM

The Happiest New Year to you!!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Your page came up when I logged on to VT this afternoon. What an interesting HP ! I'll come back and visit more of your Canadian pages soon.

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Happy birthday, Barbara! Have a fun day and all the best in the coming year. I hope that you and your family are doing well. I bet that Vincie is growing up really fast. When are you coming back to New Mexico? I have some new places to recommend, like the Suenos Encantados B&B near Cuba (for when you go to Chaco Canyon).

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Happy birthday, Barbara!

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Happy birthday, Barbara! Have a fun day and a wonderful year.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!