"What's New?" Babzz's Profile

Current Location: Calgary

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

NOT-SO-DAILY DAWDLINGS

Well I went from traffic in the GTA to traffic in Calgary, not sure which is worse??

TRAVELS

I've technically been travelling since childhood. My first trip was to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, U.S.A. with my family in the mid-eighties. Afterwards we went to Czechoslovakia in 1989 to visit my relatives, whom I was meeting for the first time. There were subsequent trips to Europe and a Caribbean cruise, but I was a teenager during these vacations, and didn't really care much about anything outside of what my friends were doing, where the next party was, what the newest fashions were!

I developed a serious interest in travelling, a.k.a "The Travel Bug," during the 6 months that I spent in Europe in 2004 studying abroad for a university semester. My exchange program landed me at Keele University in England, but in my free time I also travelled a bit around continental Europe. The day I returned home, I cried because I didn't want it to stop.

Since my return from Europe, I have had an incessant urge to go away. Short trips have satiated my thirst temporarily, but ideally I would like to live abroad or find a job that allows/necessitates me to travel.

Recent travels:

Caribbean Feb 2014
Nova Scotia July 2015
Texas 2016 for a conference, tentatively

READINGS

It's sad to think I don't have enough years in my life to read all the books I would like to!

Currently reading: "Game of Thrones" series by George R. R. Martin.

On my waiting list: "The Life of Trees" by Peter Thomas; "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin (off and on, someday I'll get through it!!)

Just finished: Can't remember ..... been on the series for a while, currently reading book 3.

If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as truth was really true, there would be little hope of advance.
~Orville Wright

The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land.
~Gilbert K. Chesterton

Keeping an open mind is a virtue - but...not so open your brains fall out.
~Carl Sagan

The questions you ask set limits on the answers you find...
~Temple Grandin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
~Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel)

Walk in the woods...as often as you can...there's something intangible to be gained from being in nature.
~Robert Bateman

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.
~Tom Pomeranz

Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out.
~Art Linkletter

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy".
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.
~John Lennon

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
~Neale Donald Walsch

• Intro Updated Aug 16, 2013

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM

The Happiest New Year to you!!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Your page came up when I logged on to VT this afternoon. What an interesting HP ! I'll come back and visit more of your Canadian pages soon.

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Happy birthday, Barbara! Have a fun day and all the best in the coming year. I hope that you and your family are doing well. I bet that Vincie is growing up really fast. When are you coming back to New Mexico? I have some new places to recommend, like the Suenos Encantados B&B near Cuba (for when you go to Chaco Canyon).

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Happy birthday, Barbara!

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Happy birthday, Barbara! Have a fun day and a wonderful year.

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM

A warm happy birthday greeting from Malaysia. Hope you have more travellings and more VT sharings in the coming years.

• Sienlu's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Hi Barbara, nice to meet another Barbara, I find it rare these days, LOVE your page "funnies" thanks for the laugh :)

• mehulraj's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM

happy birthday

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Early Happy Birthday wishes to you, Babs. :)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!