"San Miguel de Allende - Worth a Quick Stop" San Miguel de Allende by jungles

San Miguel de Allende Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 317 photos

I had heard and read quite a lot about San Miguel de Allende prior to our arrival there. I'm not sure what I expected, but I was a little disappointed in what I saw. For whatever reason this town has been chosen by many Americans as a place to retire, and this influx of over-50 expats has certainly changed the character of the town. It's filled with art galleries and private schools where you can learn Spanish along with pottery-making, painting, and many other activities of the type that people take up when they retire. Nick had planned to spend a week here studying Spanish since it was near the beginning of our trip, but once we arrived we quickly realised we didn't want to stay here for a week and moved on.

That said, it's still a beautiful town with some lovely churches to visit, but there wasn't enough to hold our interest for more than a day, and much of that day was spent sitting on park benches, which seems to be a popular pastime. Spend enough time watching pigeons in the square and you might even get a photo like the one above (Nick took this one; it's one of my favourites). If you want to get a taste of real Mexico while you're here, take a day trip to somewhere like Dolores Hidalgo (see my Dolores Hidalgo page).

• Pros:A peaceful, refreshing stop with good food and accommodation
  • Cons:Doesn't cater well to budget travellers, too many expats
  • In a nutshell:It's an attractive town and is still worth a stop, but only a quick one.
  • Last visit to San Miguel de Allende: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2006

Comments

jungles

“Travel is not an escape from life, it's a way of life.”

Badges & Stats in San Miguel de Allende

Have you been to San Miguel de Allende?