"San Miguel de Allende - Worth a Quick Stop" San Miguel de Allende by jungles
San Miguel de Allende Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 317 photos
I had heard and read quite a lot about San Miguel de Allende prior to our arrival there. I'm not sure what I expected, but I was a little disappointed in what I saw. For whatever reason this town has been chosen by many Americans as a place to retire, and this influx of over-50 expats has certainly changed the character of the town. It's filled with art galleries and private schools where you can learn Spanish along with pottery-making, painting, and many other activities of the type that people take up when they retire. Nick had planned to spend a week here studying Spanish since it was near the beginning of our trip, but once we arrived we quickly realised we didn't want to stay here for a week and moved on.
That said, it's still a beautiful town with some lovely churches to visit, but there wasn't enough to hold our interest for more than a day, and much of that day was spent sitting on park benches, which seems to be a popular pastime. Spend enough time watching pigeons in the square and you might even get a photo like the one above (Nick took this one; it's one of my favourites). If you want to get a taste of real Mexico while you're here, take a day trip to somewhere like Dolores Hidalgo (see my Dolores Hidalgo page).
- Pros:A peaceful, refreshing stop with good food and accommodation
- Cons:Doesn't cater well to budget travellers, too many expats
- In a nutshell:It's an attractive town and is still worth a stop, but only a quick one.
San Miguel has many historical churches to visit. Opening times can be erratic though; they generally close in the early... more travel advice
jungles' Related Pages
San Miguel de Allende Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Miguel de Allende"
- "My first trip to Mexico! An incredible journey!"
- "Another Side of Mexico"
- "San Miguel de Allende, Mexico"
- "Special Lil' Place"
- "Travel Notes from San Miguel de Allende"
- "SAN MIGUEL de ALLENDE, MEXICO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Miguel de Allende
- Hotels in San Miguel de Allende
- Transportation in San Miguel de Allende
- Nightlife in San Miguel de Allende
- Restaurants in San Miguel de Allende
- Shopping in San Miguel de Allende
- Warnings and Dangers in San Miguel de Allende
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Miguel de Allende
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to San Miguel de Allende?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Miguel de Allende
Photos in San Miguel de AllendeSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 55 reviews, 68 photos
- Rome Intro, 55 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Polonnaruwa Intro, 15 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Ciudad Perdida Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos