"Qatar - There IS more than just Doha!" Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar by jungles

Qatar Travel Guide: 783 reviews and 2,300 photos

This page is meant to show some of the lesser known corners of this tiny but still largely unexplored country. When I first created my Doha page, shortly after arriving here, I mentioned the view from the plane of nothing but sand and sea and talked about how there just wasn't much here. After living here for six months, though, I think I might have to revise that a bit. There ARE some interesting places outside of Doha, and while none of them are really mind-blowing, they're definitely worth a look, particularly if you're staying here for some time and cannot explore any nearby countries overland because you can't get a transit visa to cross Saudi Arabia. If you're feeling really claustrophobic being stuck in Doha, get out and take a mini roadtrip to an unknown part of Qatar. You'll come back feeling at least partially rejuvenated, I'm sure.

If you're looking for info on Doha, please see my Doha page.

• Pros:Everywhere is accessible as a day-trip from Doha, no tourists around
  • Cons:Little or no public transport, little or no info about sites
  • In a nutshell:The country is small but still has a few things to offer.
  • Intro Updated Apr 15, 2006

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 1:34 AM

Interesting places you've seen. I only made Doha, Al Wakrah and the dunes bear the oil fields.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 5:37 PM

Great introduction to Qatar. I like your commnet "We have buses", then next tip "Camel races". Busy for the Doha Games. Must be a bit crowded these few weeks. Cheers, SL

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 2:49 PM

I'm fascinated by the Gulf States and count my trip to the UAE among my best ever. Hope to return to the area someday.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2006 at 12:34 AM

Love your photo's Wendy...especially the 'limestone mushroom'! I'll be flying over you in a couple of weeks on my way to Goa! Happy travels, Blu

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 9:33 AM

Excellent page that really shows the beauty of Qatar! Great pictures and really interesting to read! Thanks for sharing!

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 4:04 PM

A few minutes ago I had never heard of Qatar, let alone robots riding camelback! Thank you for the education and the kind words on my Baffin Island pages (a far cry from Qatar to be sure!!)

• Big_Jake's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2006 at 2:48 PM

those little lizards are nick named dub-dubs. I guess due to the fact that is the sound that is made when they are ran over sunbathing on the hot pavement.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 12:59 PM

Wow what a wonderful page !! You add to my daily increasing interest in the arabian peninsula with your off-the track tips, ahh, it must be very exciting to see all this :-))

• hunwagner's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2006 at 4:54 AM

OK, found the camel races - in the sport tips rather than cultural, where I looked first! Ridden by robots!!! That looks funny indeed!

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2006 at 2:54 AM

Nice page and great pics :)

jungles Works Here!

jungles

“Travel is not an escape from life, it's a way of life.”

Badges & Stats in Qatar