"Colombia: An Undiscovered Land" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia by jungles

Colombia Travel Guide: 4,157 reviews and 12,221 photos

Colombia has a bad reputation that it's finding hard to shake off. Even many seasoned travellers decide to skip it out of fear. Those who do are missing out on an incredible country. No matter what your interests are, Colombia has so much to offer: beautiful landscapes of mountains and beaches (sometimes both together), indigenous cultures, ancient ruins hidden in the jungle, vibrant and friendly people, and the most stunning Spanish colonial city on earth.

As for safety, I can only speak from my own experience, but in the month I was there I never felt that I was in danger in any way. To be sure, guerrillas and paramilitary forces are still very powerful in certain parts of the country, and the local people have suffered greatly from the civil war. In short, this conflict stems mostly from the two factions fighting over control of the manufacture and trafficking of cocaine. I was told by a Colombian man that cocaine is the cause of all Colombia's problems, and I don't think that's too much of an overstatement. Still, a foreign traveller is highly unlikely to get caught up in this conflict, and petty theft and banditry are no more prevalent here than in other parts of Latin America.

Of course personal safety is an issue about which each traveller must make his or her own decisions, but for those who are willing to visit Mexico or Panama, for example, I see no reason why they shouldn't visit Colombia as well. Anyone who does will be highly rewarded by what they see.

• Pros:Archeological sites, beautiful Colonial cities, unspoiled by tourism
  • Cons:ongoing civil unrest, extreme heat on the coast
  • In a nutshell:Colombia is a true gem waiting to be discovered
  • Last visit to Colombia: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 16, 2006

• Aug 3, 2008 at 3:11 PM

yea...i'm colombian, and i've never hear dof that! gross

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2007 at 10:42 AM

This is a good introduction to Colombia, Wendy. You make it very attractive, and I'm starting to think of Colombia as a great destination. Thank you for sharing.

• Oct 7, 2007 at 12:40 PM

hi, please tell me where is the exactly location of this church, thanks, adrian

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2007 at 10:47 AM

wonderful photos and interesting text as well. We felt the same way in Ecuador, re feeling "safe". And that Las Lajas Sanctuary is stunning.

• dapa18's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM

awsom side and tips! :) David

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Got me thinking about something I wasn't thinking about, and no, I'm not talking about the donkey either.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 2:25 PM

This is an excellent page in every respect. I have been searching for accurate,detailed information on Columbia and this certainly fits the bill. Thank you . Katherine :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2006 at 3:26 AM

fascinating view of this country!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2006 at 12:38 AM

Very informative and interesting tips. Thanks for sharing.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 1:13 AM

Great photos and well written tips! Sounds like you enjoyed Colombia very much. I hope to visit Colombia next year.

jungles

“Travel is not an escape from life, it's a way of life.”

Badges & Stats in Colombia

Have you been to Colombia?

Latest Activity in Colombia