"Colombia: An Undiscovered Land" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia by jungles
Colombia Travel Guide: 4,157 reviews and 12,221 photos
Colombia has a bad reputation that it's finding hard to shake off. Even many seasoned travellers decide to skip it out of fear. Those who do are missing out on an incredible country. No matter what your interests are, Colombia has so much to offer: beautiful landscapes of mountains and beaches (sometimes both together), indigenous cultures, ancient ruins hidden in the jungle, vibrant and friendly people, and the most stunning Spanish colonial city on earth.
As for safety, I can only speak from my own experience, but in the month I was there I never felt that I was in danger in any way. To be sure, guerrillas and paramilitary forces are still very powerful in certain parts of the country, and the local people have suffered greatly from the civil war. In short, this conflict stems mostly from the two factions fighting over control of the manufacture and trafficking of cocaine. I was told by a Colombian man that cocaine is the cause of all Colombia's problems, and I don't think that's too much of an overstatement. Still, a foreign traveller is highly unlikely to get caught up in this conflict, and petty theft and banditry are no more prevalent here than in other parts of Latin America.
Of course personal safety is an issue about which each traveller must make his or her own decisions, but for those who are willing to visit Mexico or Panama, for example, I see no reason why they shouldn't visit Colombia as well. Anyone who does will be highly rewarded by what they see.
- Pros:Archeological sites, beautiful Colonial cities, unspoiled by tourism
- Cons:ongoing civil unrest, extreme heat on the coast
- In a nutshell:Colombia is a true gem waiting to be discovered
This spectacularly situated church is built right into the side of a canyon over the Rio Guaitara. It is decorated in a... more travel advice
San Agustin is a small village close to the 'Valley of the Statues,' a broad term used for several nearby archeological... more travel advice
jungles' Related Pages
Colombia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Now on the Menu: Colombia"
- "Colombia - the friendliest people in the world !"
- "Colombia: An Undiscovered Land"
- "Colombia Maravillosa"
- "Colombia - my second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colombia
- Hotels in Colombia
- Transportation in Colombia
- Nightlife in Colombia
- Restaurants in Colombia
- Shopping in Colombia
- Warnings and Dangers in Colombia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colombia
- 37 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Colombia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colombia
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 55 reviews, 68 photos
- Rome Intro, 55 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Polonnaruwa Intro, 15 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Ciudad Perdida Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos