"Sri Lanka: An Island Full of Treasures" Sri Lanka by jungles
Sri Lanka Travel Guide: 4,082 reviews and 10,429 photos
Many of Sri Lanka's visitors come only to sit on the sands of the island's beautiful beaches, but this country has SO much more to offer than just a pretty beach. Ancient ruins, painted caves, close encounters with wildlife, wonderful home-cooked curries, friendly people, religious fervour, extravagant festivals; it's all here and easy to reach in this compact, incredibly lush tropical island.
Despite its cheap cost of living, Sri Lanka is often overlooked by backpackers and budget-minded overland travellers, simply because the only way to get there is to fly. In fact, Nick and I had wanted to visit a couple of years ago on our trip that in the end included Burma, India, and Pakistan, but we decided to give it a miss when we found out there was no ferry from India. It does seem like such a waste of money and fuel to fly; Sri Lanka and India appear tantalizingly close on the map, and there is even evidence that there was a bridge linking them in ancient times, perhaps built by the white monkey Hanuman as told in the Ramayana legend. Of course, the reason the ferry has been out of service so long is because of the political situation, which seems to be worsening. This should not stop anyone from coming to Sri Lanka, however. While the north and the east are sadly off-limits once again, the attractions that visitors come to Sri Lanka to see are all still accessible and show no signs of the conflict that has been so devastating for so many people in Sri Lanka.
In any case I'm very glad we made it back here in the end, as this island is a truly inspiring place. Since most of Sri Lanka's visitors are in the mid-range to high-end category, the most common practice is to hire a car and driver to get around. While this is certainly the easiest and fastest way to reach all the sights, it is also perfectly feasible to reach practically anywhere by public transport, though it will probably take a bit longer. Hopefully those wanting to visit Sri Lanka on a low budget will find my pages helpful.
It should be noted that in general Sri Lanka is not quite as cheap as India, though for food and accommodation you will usually get a sufficiently higher standard for the slightly higher price. A reasonable budget for Sri Lanka, using public transport and staying in low-end guesthouses, is US$15 per person per day, plus extra expenses for things such as a safari in a national park. You could probably do it for a bit less if you limit your sightseeing and seek out local restaurants instead of eating in guesthouses, but once you've made the plunge for the airfare you might as well spend a few extra dollars to make your stay more enjoyable.
- Pros:ancient sites, wildlife, great food, beautiful beaches, friendly people
- Cons:hassle in touristy areas, north and east once again off-limits
- In a nutshell:This small island has so much to offer!
Tuk-tuks, also called three-wheelers in Sri Lanka, are a convenient way to get around and can be found almost anywhere;... more travel advice
Anuradhapura is one of the ancient cities that make up the cultural triangle. While a day of sightseeing here is... more travel advice
- See All Cultural Triangle Ticket Good for One...
- See All Fast food in Colombo
- See All Fitting a two-pin plug in a three-pin...
- Handicraft Emporium in Colombo
jungles' Related Pages
Sri Lanka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sri Lanka"
- "Ayu Bowan Sri Lanka"
- "SRI LANKA: Tear Drop of the Indian Ocean."
- "Sri Lanka - A wonderful Country"
- "India's tear"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sri Lanka
- Hotels in Sri Lanka
- Transportation in Sri Lanka
- Nightlife in Sri Lanka
- Restaurants in Sri Lanka
- Shopping in Sri Lanka
- Warnings and Dangers in Sri Lanka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sri Lanka
- 96 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Sri Lanka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sri Lanka
- Posted in Travel Doha Forum "RE: RE: B&B - guesthouse"
- Commented on one of Maxus's Sri Lanka travel pages
- Wrote a Review Cultural Triangle Ticket Good for One Day Only in Sri Lanka Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tuk-tuks"
- updated a Sri Lanka Travel Page "Sri Lanka: An Island Full of Treasures"
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 55 reviews, 68 photos
- Rome Intro, 55 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Polonnaruwa Intro, 15 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Ciudad Perdida Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos