"Colonial Galle" Top 5 Page for this destination Galle by jungles
Galle Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 318 photos
Galle is about as attractive a colonial city as you can find on the subcontinent. You shouldn't expect stunning architectural beauty like Cartagena in Colombia or Zacatecas in Mexico, however; think 'faded grandeur' and remember that you're still in Sri Lanka after all. Galle Fort, the only part of the city that is of any real interest to tourists, is more of an old walled city than a fort. There are about two hundred houses inside its walls, including some nice guesthouses. Life within the walls moves at a snail's pace, and there's not a whole lot there apart from a few antique stores. The most interesting buildings are the Lighthouse, the Meeran Jumma Masjid (a mosque that looks like a church), and the Dutch Reformed Church. The outside walls themselves are perhaps the fort's greatest attraction, and walking around the ramparts is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. There has been some major foreign investment and some big plans in the works for Galle, with the aim of making it the premier cultural attraction and tourist draw in Sri Lanka's south by 2010. I imagine the tsunami was a bit of a damper to these plans, though. Galle was one of the worst-hit places in Sri Lanka, although the fort area was largely spared as it was protected by the old ramparts built by the Portuguese.
- Pros:peaceful, attractive buildings, nice views from the ramparts
- Cons:not many restaurants or other services within the fort
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth a stop for a day or two
The train and bus stations are next to each other near the cricket ground, with the fort about a ten-minute walk away on... more travel advice
This church was first built in 1754 and has recently been restored at the expense of the Dutch government. There are... more travel advice
jungles' Related Pages
Galle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World Heritage Wonderland."
- "Colonial Galle"
- "It aint half hot mum!"
- "Cultural gem in southern Sri Lanka."
- "Galle Fort - A World Heritage Site"
- "Galle & the beautiful coast"
- "Galle, Sri Lanka"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galle
- Hotels in Galle
- Transportation in Galle
- Nightlife in Galle
- Restaurants in Galle
- Shopping in Galle
- Warnings and Dangers in Galle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galle
- 10 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Galle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galle
Photos in GalleSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 55 reviews, 68 photos
- Rome Intro, 55 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Polonnaruwa Intro, 15 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Ciudad Perdida Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos