"Polonnaruwa" Top 5 Page for this destination Polonnaruwa by jungles
Polonnaruwa Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 277 photos
The ruins at Polonnaruwa are a definite highlight of Sri Lanka and should not be missed. Most of the ruins date from the 11th to the 13th century and are masterpieces of the Buddhist Sinhalese kingdom, though there are a few Hindu temples mixed in as well since the South Indian Cholas (an early and medieval Tamil kingdom) also had their capital here before they were defeated by King Vijayabahu I in 1056.
The highlights of Polonnaruwa are the three amazing Buddha statues cut directly into the rock face at Gal Vihara, the many fine buildings and statues in the Quadrangle, and the Council Chamber and Prince's Bath in the Royal Citadel. There are many other fine monuments besides these, and you should allow yourself a full day to explore the area. The best way to get around is to hire a bicycle. The ruins are too spread out to walk, and the gravel paths that connect the ruins are a very pleasant place to go for a bike ride.
The ruins are divided into five major groups: the centrally-located Rest House Group, Royal Citadel Group, and Quadrangle, and further afield the Northern Monuments and Southern Group. Even if you want to visit the Northern Monuments first, you must access the ruins via the main entrance near the Royal Citadel then head up the dirt path from there; there is no access to the Northern Monuments from the main road. Of the five groups, the most impressive are the Quadrangle, Royal Citadel, and Northern Monuments, and it is only these three that require a ticket to access. Polonnaruwa is part of the Cultural Triangle Round Ticket.
- Pros:amazing sights, peaceful setting
- Cons:can get hot biking around the ruins
- In a nutshell:One of Sri Lanka's top sights
The exterior of this building is currently covered in scaffolding, but inside are some beautiful 13th century frescoes... more travel advice
In contrast to the abstract form of the dagoba, this large image house holding an 18-metre-high Buddha statue presents a... more travel advice
jungles' Related Pages
Polonnaruwa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ancient ruins"
- "Don't miss this capital city."
- "Historic Polonnaruwa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Polonnaruwa
- Hotels in Polonnaruwa
- Transportation in Polonnaruwa
- Nightlife in Polonnaruwa
- Restaurants in Polonnaruwa
- Warnings and Dangers in Polonnaruwa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Polonnaruwa
- 15 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Polonnaruwa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Polonnaruwa
Photos in PolonnaruwaSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 55 reviews, 68 photos
- Rome Intro, 55 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Polonnaruwa Intro, 15 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Ciudad Perdida Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos