"Danau Toba: Beautiful, traditional, relaxing" Danau Toba by jungles
Danau Toba Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 479 photos
Danau (Lake) Toba is a crater lake, which was created by a volcanic explosion that happened 75,000 years ago. This was the largest volcanic eruption on Earth in the last two million years. You can imagine how huge the explosion must have been to create a lake this size. Lake Toba is the largest freshwater lake in South-East Asia (100km long and 30 km wide), with an island in the middle of it the size of Singapore.
We enjoyed our stay there much more than we thought we would. It wasn't nearly as touristy as I had expected, in part because most of the guesthouses are built as pretty Batak bungalows and not ugly Torremolinos-style hotels, but also because when we visited in 2003 lots of people had been scared away from Indonesia by the Bali bombings. Because Samosir Island (the island that sits in the middle of the lake) is so big, there are plenty of chances to get away from the resort towns and see the locals going about their business. On the other hand, because the locals are used to tourists we could walk about their towns without being "Hello Mister"-ed and followed everywhere.
- Pros:Relaxing, beautiful scenery, traditional architecture
- Cons:Not many. Sure it's on the tourist trail, but it hasn't been ruined by tourism.
- In a nutshell:A highlight of Sumatra
Bagus Bay is popular amongst the backpacker crowd, and with good reason. The bungalows are all built in the style of the... more travel advice
jungles' Related Pages
Danau Toba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Danau Toba : a dive in Batak country"
- "Horas - Danau Toba"
- "Spend at least one week here!!!!"
- "Kick back and meet the Toba people!"
- "Danau Toba Page"
- "Beberapa capung capung (a few dragonflies)"
- "A calm, large, deep, friendly lake."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Danau Toba
- Hotels in Danau Toba
- Transportation in Danau Toba
- Nightlife in Danau Toba
- Restaurants in Danau Toba
- Shopping in Danau Toba
- Warnings and Dangers in Danau Toba
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Danau Toba
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Danau Toba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Danau Toba
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 55 reviews, 68 photos
- Rome Intro, 55 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 28 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Polonnaruwa Intro, 15 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Qatar Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Ciudad Perdida Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos