"Gentle, Green Nagercoil" Nagercoil by bungi333
Nagercoil Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos
Nagercoil, a town in the southern most district of Tamil Nadu and close to the border of Kerala, is a gentle and friendly place, and beautiful too.
If you are from Tamil Nadu you initially think you are hearing Malayalam (the language spoke in Kerala), but lo and behold! You understand what is being said. You have encountered the local Tamil dialect which has Malayalam's lilting tunes.
Their food, again, has a blend of Kerala and Tamil Nadu in it. Being in the coastal region, sea food is part of their staple diet. In my opinion, they have managed to extract the best of both cuisines. Food is a big part of their hospitality. And my, what tasty food!
The other thing that strikes you is the landscape. Unlike many other parts of Tamil Nadu there is a lot of green here, and water bodies too. And then you also find Part of the Western Ghats standing on this land. Altogether, the town is beautiful and wears the look of a large village.
At one point, a part of Travencore State, it was merged with Tamil Nadu during state reorganization in 1956. For all its proximity to Kerala, and the blend of two cultures in this melting pot, the Tamil people here are fiercely Tamil.
- Pros:Beautiful landscape, some touristy things to do around here, some off the beaten track things too, lovely people
- Cons:It's not a vacation spot really. It is more a visit for a couple of days kind of place.
There are a number of trains running to Nagercoil Junction from various parts of the country. Most trains coming here... more travel advice
Muppandal Wind Farm is the largest of its kind in Asia. There are thousands of electricity-producing windmills and is... more travel advice
bungi333's Related Pages
Nagercoil Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gentle, Green Nagercoil"
- "The place of Nagaraja Temple"
- "Nagercoil, the temple of snakes"
- "Nagercoil - Snake Temple - a City in south India"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagercoil
- Transportation in Nagercoil
- Restaurants in Nagercoil
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nagercoil
- 9 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Nagercoil?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagercoil
Top 10 Pages
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 23 reviews, 43 photos
- Thekkadi Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Nagercoil Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Kanniyakumari Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Kochi Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Kumaragam Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Hampi Intro, 8 reviews, 5 photos
- Kanjirapalli Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Chennai (Madras) Intro, 7 reviews, 1 photo
- Cameron Highlands Intro, 7 reviews, 1 photo