"The pearls of travel are found when I'm lost" montanabob's Profile

The Early Years

My earliest recollection of travel is 1950s riding the North Coast Limited between Missoula MT and St Paul MN. There was Sue the Stewardess Nurse to keep an eye on me and the old codgers in the smoking room swapping tales of fishing, hunting, and far away places. Later I hitchhiked between Montana and Minnesota learning about out of the way places and peoples? families and passions. It seemed that after every trip I found another place to visit plus I needed to return to where I had just been. Over Easter break in the mid 60s I spread my hitchhiking wings and headed to Dallas. The destination was the Kennedy assassination site the purpose was to see a different part of the US of A.

My last hitchhiking trip was in 1970 through parts of Mexico. When my buddy and I started the six-week sojourn buses and trains were our primary source of transportation. Once we began thumbing we saw the roads less traveled; there is more to communication than words, our cultures are a lot more alike than different - the differences are important and the interior country can be magical. The trip also taught me the value of getting lost.

I have been fortunate to travel around the county for both business and vacation.

On the east coast
New York and Washington DC ? a minimum of four days
Charleston ? history is interesting and look for an oyster roast
Savannah ? enjoy the sites and have a drink at the ?17hundred90? bar
Some day I would like to ride motorcycle through the Smoky Mountains up to New England and New Brunswick ? need a little more vacation for that journey

On the west coast
San Francisco ? I would return on a moments notice
Wine Country ? smaller can be better
Seattle ? When you have mountains and ocean how can you go wrong?
My motorcycle has seen the Olympic Peninsula, Mount Rainier and points east. I would like to travel the western seaboard from Portland through Northern California.

During the summer months my wife and I usually plan a ten-day motorcycle trip to the Rocky Mountains and points west. There are children and grandkids in Denver Colorado so they get a fair amount of attention. I have brothers and a sister in Montana and I try and get back there every year. Family is important and with our trips we get to see a lot of great scenery and meet a lot of folks. Utah has some great national parks and Yellowstone can be seen many times. When riding the bike we shun the four-lane roads but do like pavement.

Travels in Europe

Overseas travel has been limited to Europe. My first trip was in 1979 and there have been four since. There have been a lot of great historic sites and museums. Often it has been the unexpected that makes our trip memorable.
A warm October afternoon outside Dijon France drinking wine with bread, cheese and pate
The delights of Alberchine Spain – good food, wine and hospitality
Chilling sparking wine in a bidet – Granada Spain
Getting stuck in a snow storm in the hills of Spain
Buying wine from a gas pump – Orvieto Italy
Renting rooms from people who met us at train stations
Eating at a Basque Restaurant in Strasburg France and then being offered brandy and cigars by other diners
Staying in a hotel next to one of the fine Vienna houses of ill repute
Stopping at a truck stop in France and having a very good four course meal, with wine of course
Catching someone trying to pick my pocket on a subway
New Years in Rome
The relief of returning the rental car after driving in Rome
People throughout Europe want to talk about the US and what we thought of their country
Buying Alpaca sweaters from a local producer in Umbira
Playing golf at St Andrews Old Course with three Swedes – done without a tee time
Communicating with nods, smiles and basic phrases
Drinking wine and talking with a former Sheriff of Macon France
Having the Lisbon lady ask for bones off my plate for her dog

In March 2006 my wife and I took a trip to Portugal. For the first time we did a tour. We missed the spontaneity of getting lost or driving the narrow road because it looks interesting on the map. There is some info in the Portugal Travel Page.

• Intro Updated Jan 30, 2008

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Dear Bob, I am still at VT. As you know I live in Ankara. I hope you will stay a night in Ankara. I would be very pleased to meet you. saraltosun@yahoo.co.uk is my mail.if you post me the date of arrival, name and adress of the hotel.I will be there waiting for you inshallah!.

• montanabob's Profile Photo
      Apr 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM

When we leave Istanbul we fly to Kayseri for a few days then bus to Antalya. In Fethiye we sail in a Gulet for four nights then head home from Kusadasi/Izmer.

Seems we need to take another Turkey Trip - Anakara and north and further west. Thanks for kind offer.

Bob

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo
      Apr 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM

WoW What a route! Have a nice time in Turkey. May you come happily and return smiling. It is raining in all Turkey. Better take a rain-coat.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Hi Bob. Is it any warmer over in Olivia today? Probably not.

• montanabob's Profile Photo
      Apr 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM

well today it is 32 F blowing and wet even though it is 5 years later. Heading to Budapest in a week then to Istanbul. A little late on the responds but it happened

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2007 at 2:06 PM

So how was Portugal? I hope one of the tours was a wine tasting experience. I just love a good port wine from Portugal. Hope to make it there one day. Happy New Year to you and your wife.

• myspices's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 1:37 AM

Hi Bob..Happy Birthday and may you find many many more "pearls" in your travels!. Greetings from Malaysia

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2006 at 9:47 PM

Pity you haven't got more pages here, your HP is certainly a great appetizer

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 4:10 PM

where is your family in Montana?

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
montanabob's Profile Photo

montanabob

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.