"Great little community on beautiful Magdalena Bay" San Carlos by malecon

San Carlos Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 8 photos

Finding downtown

This is a neat little town right on Magdalena Bay. I enjoyed my stay here perhaps moe then any other place in Baja Norte or Sur. Why so special? I can think of two reasons; the wonderful accomadations at the Hotel Alcatraz and the quaintness of the town being so far from Highway 1.

Primarily this place attracts sport fishermen and divers. Divers because of the abundance of sea life, especially within the mangroves that hug the shore.

A good portion of downtown is paved while the rest of the town is dirt roads that reach farther then I could explore. There are shops and a park with the police station situated next to it. The policy have little else to do but watch a pick up game of soccer being played by a half dozon men in the night.

The shops are family owned and sparsely shelved in some cases. They stay open well into the night. On the main corner is a good size mercado that is the town's source for groceries. There is constant foot traffic in that store.

The people here are the real thing.

I couldn't help but taking one more pass through San Carlos. While doing so I passed a old woman sweeping the front of her house. She turned out to be 93 years old and had lived in San Carlos the last thirty years. Her home wasn't more then a dark room with a bed in it.

She was very friendly and we tried to communicate. I snapped several pictures of her before I reluctantly left town.

Origins of the name and location.

The actual name of the town is Puerto San Carlos but many refer to it as San Carlos. Mexico has an abundance of towns called San Carlos but only one Puerto San Carlos from my research. It's only about 40 years old and came to being after a pier was built as a way to transfer local agricultural products onto ships.

The primary use of the port now is for commercial fishing which attracts buyers worldwide. Since 1965 the town has grown to about 14,000.

Maria and her mom rund the Hotel Alcatraz. Her father started the business by renting rooms out of their house. Soon they had a thriving hotel business. The family home is still on the property and while I dislike B&B's this place feels like home. Maria is a gifted hostess with a love for the place that spills over into excellent, prideful service to the guests who are mostly fishermen.

Maria has big plans for the little hotel. She'd like to fly people in from La Paz for adventure tours. As word of the tiny oasis spreading she predicts a large hotel chain to build here within two years.

• In a nutshell:I didn't know what a fishing village was until I drove into San Carlos.
  • Last visit to San Carlos: Nov 2005
  • Intro Written Apr 17, 2006

Comments

malecon

“For a week or a day, or a weekday.”

Badges & Stats in San Carlos

Have you been to San Carlos?

Friends