"In A Paradise Called Darién" Provincia del Darién by malecon

Provincia del Darién Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 41 photos

My Ship Came And Left Without Me

The Darién is a vast jungle paradise on Panama's notorious border with Colombia. If you go here your warned not to. If you visit Panama there is no reason to take malaria pills or get a yellow fever shot, unless you go to the Darién. My mother, a native Panamanian has never stepped foot in the province and neither has my millionnaire cousins in Panama City.

Does this region offer so little that no one goes here? Hardly. It's a land of giant Panama trees, muddy rivers whose course is their own, and a people who can live off this land without assistance.

The Darién rocks. Where else can you go where you've left most all westerners behind? Where can you enter villages where there is no crime to speak of? The Darién you say? Is this the feared Darién? Yes, this is the Darién.

About The Ship

It came in, but was leaving late, and would take two days to get back to Panama City. It would cost me $15 to take her, but I didn't have the time. My ship came in and I chose to fly, regrettably.

• Last visit to Provincia del Darién: Jul 2008
  • Intro Written Jul 25, 2008

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 10:43 AM

If there are as few visitors to Darien as there are to your page, that's where I want to go! Thank you for sharing!!!

malecon

“For a week or a day, or a weekday.”

Badges & Stats in Provincia del Darién

Have you been to Provincia del Darién?

Latest Activity in Provincia del Darién