"First Impressions" Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis by scanos
Cassis Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 123 photos
I arrived in Cassis by Train from Nice only to find that the train station was some 3 kms outside town and there was no connecting bus service. On advice from two swedish cyclists, I decided to walk into town and was surprised how pleasant it was, passing vineyards, including the impressive Ferme Blanche, whilst listening to the overpowering humming of the cigales.
I had decided to use Cassis as a base for hiking in nearby Les Calanques, a magnificent area of limestone gorges meeting the sea at a series of little coves and lagoons.
Overall, I would recommend the town, as a holiday location for conventional tourist families. This is usually some thing that I avoid like the plague, but given that I spent moa substantial amount of time in Les Calanques, I was able to avoid the tourist masses. Apart from Le Mistral, which can blow very strongly on certain days, the July weather was ideal , between 26 and 29C, much cooler than the baking temperatures of Italy and Spain.
Le port has stupendous views and is a base for both the local fishermen and les bateaux for Les Calanques which , for example, offer 1 hour trips to 5 calanques for around 15 euros. To see les calanques from Marseille for example, takes 3 hours, and costs 25 euros. Fishing trips and sub aqua can be organised from the port.
There were some excellent fish restaurants around the port but the prices were aimed at the masses of tourists who wanted to experience the local cuisine. As a lone traveller, I avoided the tourist feeding factories and joined the other picnickers, mostly young french people, on the nearby rocks which offered stupendous views and sunsets.
- Pros:Good for families, octagenarians and great base fo rles calanques
- Cons:Too touristy
- In a nutshell:Great base for Walking and Exploring
Initially, I though that the small poetry shop in Cassis , near le port, was some sort of joke but no, it's the real... more travel advice
Immediately to the west of Cassis are some great rocks and beaches on which you can have a great picnic or barbecue,... more travel advice
scanos' Related Pages
Cassis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cassis and the Calanques"
- "Cassis: the magic effect"
- "Cassis, little touristic harbour near Marseille"
- "First Impressions"
- "The colors of Cassis"
- "Cassis - a port where many artists gathered"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cassis
- Hotels in Cassis
- Transportation in Cassis
- Nightlife in Cassis
- Restaurants in Cassis
- Shopping in Cassis
- Warnings and Dangers in Cassis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cassis
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Cassis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cassis
Photos in CassisSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Belfast Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Marseille Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Rome Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Nice Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Corsica Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos