"Sailing the Lakes" Fermanagh by scanos
Fermanagh Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 212 photos
The best way to see the loughs in Fermanagh is to take out a boat and sail around it yourself. Marine House Marine, based 6 miles out of Enniskillen on the Omagh/ Kesh Road at Killedeas, offers puffin boats for hire for 50 pounds for 4 hours (Summer 07).
Leaving Marine House Marine, in Killedeas bay, head south towards Enniskillen. Devenish Island , one of the 'holy islands of Ireland 'is well marked on the maps has a mooring point on both sides. We moored at the more remote western pier and walked for 4-500 yards see photo above. As well as Devenish Island, you can visit a number of other small islands and go up for lunch to Kesh.
The island is home to one of the finest monastic sites in Northern Ireland. You can acytually climb up to the top of the almost perfect 12 century Round Tower by way of 4 long ladders- not for the faint hearted. The walls of the Oratory of St Molaise who established the monastery in the 6th century are still intact and used to attract thousands of pilgrims in by gone days. The adventorous can also climb the spiral staircase of the Abbey Church of St. Mary to get a sense of what the monks experienced in bygone days. The island dose not attract a huge number of visitors because of difficulty in getting there. To visit, other than the cost of sailing is free and one of the highlights of any trip to Ireland. Its other attraction is that it is in the middle of a beautiful wild area and is not as stuffy or regimented as the ancient monastic site of Clonmacnoise.
- Pros:Must see if you come to Ireland
scanos' Related Pages
Fermanagh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "County Fermanagh"
- "THE HIDDEN GEM OF NORTHERN IRELAND"
- "Memory of County Formanagh"
- "Sailing the Lakes"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fermanagh
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Fermanagh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fermanagh
Top 10 Pages
- Belfast Intro, 6 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Marseille Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Rome Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- London Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Venice Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Nice Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Corsica Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos