"Guilin - "Piece of Art"" Guilin by myspices
Guilin Travel Guide: 476 reviews and 1,244 photos
Guilin, the ultimate spot to visit when most make the trip to Guangxi for it is renowned for its beautiful landscape of mountains and rivers - it is indeed a piece of art! Many have termed it the most beautiful place on earth especially for those who love chinese painting as the scenery along the Lijiang river between Guilin and Yangshuo does reflect a spectacular chinese art piece.
It has lots limestone karsts for cave lovers but most of being "artificially enhanced" by colored lights which make it unnatural. Yet, to be in one of these beautiful caves will somehow makes you feel awed about the various strange formations within the cave.
The heart of Guilin is at Zhongshan Nanlu where you can see the hustle and bustle of the city of Guilin. Lots of big and tall buildings, malls and excitement comes alive especially during the eves of weekends. Public transport is convenient, hotels in abundance.
In the centre of the town of Guilin, (along Zhongshan Nanlu), you will be able to see the twin pagodas - the Moon and Sun pagodas on the water system (in mandarin "Liang Jiang Xi Fu" meaning "2 rivers and 4 lakes). View the pagodas at night as they are really beautiful when lit up - one is silver in colour and other gold.
We arrived Guilin via the express train from Liuzhou at 1.12pm. (Fare :29yuan one way). The train ride was about 2hrs. Upon arrival at the train station at Guilin, there were already loads of tour operators waiting for you - some are so persistent that they followed you all the way - it's really difficult to get ride of them. Well, what we did was, we, with our backpacks walked right into one of the shopping stalls and hang out (and peeping every now and then to see if the operators are still waiting outside for us....yeap, they are still there..) . Next, one of us (left the luggage in the stall) went out to search for the hotel. After the hotel has been confirmed, we all then moved to the hotel. Well, the tour operators will still follow you, at least you can kind of shoo them off by saying you already got your hotel booked. Rest assured that they will try their best to sell you other tour packages........ enjoy entertaining them...
Gudong Waterfalls is located slightly south-east of the town of Guilin. The falls is spectacular and it is possible to "hike" up the falls and if you do not wish to do that, you can just walk up a path next to the falls to get to the same destination as those who have hiked up the falls. Water is refreshing and the surrounding area in Gudong is full of vegetation.
The Crown Cave is also located towards the south-eastern side of Guilin. It is on the same route when you visit the Gudong Falls, slightly down south of it. An amazing, well facilitated and kept cave and definately structured to capture most tourists. To get down to the cave, you take the elevator down and you sit on a electric train to tour parts of the cave. Awsome cave formations and great chinese stories that will link you to the structures of the stalagmites and stalactites.
- Pros:Scenic and breath-taking
- Cons:Lots of tour operators everywhere
- In a nutshell:Yeap...like what you see on the Chinese painting
These are great appetisers! Pickles are popular in Guilin. There are so many types to choose from and you will be "lost"... more travel advice
You can get these slices of juicy watermelon from the make-shift stalls along the road. Vendors will just sliced the... more travel advice
myspices' Related Pages
Guilin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guilin, the River Li and Cormorant Fishing"
- "Guilin and those Cool Mountains!"
- "Hundred Miles of Art Gallery"
- "Guilin - Karst scenery and the Li River"
- "Sharrie's Guilin "Rockies""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guilin
- Hotels in Guilin
- Transportation in Guilin
- Nightlife in Guilin
- Restaurants in Guilin
- Shopping in Guilin
- Warnings and Dangers in Guilin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guilin
- 11 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Guilin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guilin
Photos in GuilinSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 72 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Liuzhou Intro, 38 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nanning Intro, 36 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 46 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigan Intro, 32 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ubud Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sagada Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dazhai Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Baguio Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues