"Hong Kong Island - Its share of Limelight..." Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Island by myspices
Hong Kong Island Travel Guide: 254 reviews and 798 photos
Hongkong Island which is separated from Kowloon Peninsula by the Victoria Harbour is a flourishing Island, not lacking from its fair share of limelight compared to the ever exciting, vibrant and fast-moving Kowloon. From the Promenade in Kowloon, especially at night, you can see the heart-stopping and most photographed strip of skyscrapers along coast of Hongkong Island - Central being the focal point with the higest and tallest buildings. Hongkong Island is divided into 4 main districts : Wan Chai/Causeway Bay, Central/Western, Eastern and Southern. Hongkong Island was ceded to Britain under the Treaty of Nanking.
We were supposed to be staying with a friend in Tai Koo, Hongkong Island during our trip to Hongkong but due to unforseen circumtances, we had to change our plans and instead stayed over in Kowloon as Kowloon offers more budget lodges than you can find in the HongKong Island. I guess Hongkong Island is kind of "more exclusive" - more of residential place.
Anyway, whether it is Hongkong Island or Kowloon, it's just a stone throw away as public transport between the two is really convenient. You can commute between the two by way of the MTR, Bus or the Ferry and the journey is just about 15minutes. Our day trips over to the various places of interests in Hongkong Island proved to be as exciting and refreshing as those in Kowloon. Here are the couple of places which we have "combed through".........
*Top on the list is of course "The Peak" - yes, the Victoria Peak, which offers you the stunning bird's-eye view of the skyline of Kowloon and Victoria Harbour
*Central - Mid-Levels Escalator - the longest covered escalator in the world.. 800m long
* Lan Kwai Fong/SoHo/Hollywood Road - comes alive at night - bistros, bars & pubs
* Man Mo Temple (Central)
* Golden Bauhinia Square and Hongkong Convention and Exhibition Centre
* Repulse Bay - one of the most beautiful beaches in Hongkong
* Stanley Market and the Murray House - great shopping and scenic surroundings plus old colonial building
We love the Peak's trip and we will definately go back there the next time to catch the night view of the skyline from Victoria Peak - heard it's simply beautiful and fascinating and we missed the wax museum of Madame Tussauds as it was closed for renovation :(
Stanley Market is another spot worth a whole day's trip if you have the time. Shopping here is just so fun!
Next Trip to cover :
1) WanChai/Causeway Bay - Jardine's Bazaar and Jardine's Crescent, Victoria Park, Noon Day Gun and the Typhoon Shelter
2) Sheung Wan - Western Market
3) Shau Kei Wan - Law UK Folk Musuem, Hakka House, Hongkong Museum of Coastal Defence (Lei Yue Mun Fort)
4) Repulse Bay and Deep Water Bay
5) Ocean Park
6) Aberdeen/Jumbo Kingdom
7) Ap Lei Chau "Duck Tongue Island"
8) Shek O
9) Happy Valley
Ride the ongoing escalator for 800m .... watch people and the areas around it.. SoHo. It's actually a fun ride - think the kids will love it more. It was like forever and ever kind of thing ......
BTW, you are actually on the world's longest covered escalator - as stated in the Guinness World's record....bear with it so that you can say "yes, been there, done that!"
Err.. this is not Kowloon, it's Hongkong Island at night - like I said, Hongkong Island has its fair share of limelight. With SoHo, Lan Kwai Fong and Hollywood road, it will not lack the exciting night life ...
- Pros:more laid back, less confusion as compared to Kowloon
- Cons:MTR is convenient But Expensive .....
- In a nutshell:Hong Kong Island - easier going than Kowloon
myspices' Related Pages
Hong Kong Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Hong Island"
- "Hong Kong Island - Its share of Limelight..."
- "In the Big Leagues"
- "Hong Kong - Pearl of the Orient"
- "Amazing Hong Kong Island"
- "Kowloon Island the Center of all Hong Kong"
- "Visiting Nick"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hong Kong Island
- Hotels in Hong Kong Island
- Transportation in Hong Kong Island
- Nightlife in Hong Kong Island
- Restaurants in Hong Kong Island
- Shopping in Hong Kong Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Hong Kong Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hong Kong Island
- 25 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Hong Kong Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hong Kong Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 72 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Liuzhou Intro, 38 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nanning Intro, 36 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 46 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigan Intro, 32 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ubud Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sagada Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dazhai Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Baguio Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues