"Banaue - The Eighth Wonder of the World" Banaue by myspices
Banaue Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 603 photos
Banaue (pronounced as "Bun-na-way") is located in Central Cordillera and is North Luzon's famous site for the Eighth Wonder of the World - the breathtaking rice terraces. Apparently the word "Banaue" is from the word "Banawor" - name of a swift flying bird. When the Spaniards occupied the town, they mispronounced Banawor as Banaue and since then it is called Banaue.
Banaue has 18 villages (termed as "barangays") : Amaganad, Anaba, Balawis, Banao, Bagaan, Batad, Bocos, Cambulo, Ducligan, Gohang, Kinakin, Poblacion, Poitan, Pula, San Fernando, Tam-an, Viewpoint and Uhaj.
Banaue is on higher lands and many described it as "where land merges with the clouds to meet the heavens," and the rice terraces as "stairway to the sky". The rice terraces are simply spectacular not because they are done so meticulously and neatly in order but for the fact that these were carved using simple tools over 2,000years ago by the Ifugao . The technique of irrigation is something we are intrigued and admired - bamboo tubes and mud channels were used to spread the water to the various terraces. Best times to visit would be April and May, just before harvesting season - a breathtaking sight.
Banaue, eventhough a small town, needs at least 2-3days to admire - see how the beautiful nature can turn even more beautiful under the clever hands of the Ifugao.
We were in Banaue only for three-quarter of a day as we had to catch a bus to Manila that same evening. It's really a pity that we do not have time to linger longer. We will, if we have the opportunity to visit Banaue again , to at least put a night or two there.
After arriving from Bontoc (from Sagada), our first and foremost itinerary is to get a glimpse of the Eighth Wonder of the World .........
Some places we have covered :-
1) The Viewpoint - Banaue Rice Terraces
2) Visit one of the "barangays" - Bocos
3) Banaue Museum
If you have the time, visit :-
1) Tam-an Village
You can just cover the little town of Banaue by walking. It is a quiet town nested within the valley and the rice terraces as backdrop..
The Cordillera is home of the Igorot (mountain people), the Apayao, Kalinga, Ifugao, Benguet, Bontoc and Tingguian. Most of Igorot traditions remain deeply ingrained and their farming skills - epitomised by the Ifugao-built Banaue Rice Terraces ......
- Pros:amazing scenes of rice terraces
- Cons:tourist information - lack of information
- In a nutshell:Indeed "the stairway to the sky" (those rice terraces) !
Situated in the centre of the town. It is quite a bare offices with a couple of tables and chairs. Not much of... more travel advice
Important! Once you arrive at Banaue, make your reservation at the bus station 1st. This is true for Auto bus as they... more travel advice
- See All Walk about Banaue town
- Wood carvings, weaving and handicrafts
- Buses with worn off tyres
- Good location - in town and facing rice...
Written Nov 5, 2006
Be Captivated with Rice Terraces - Part 1
Written Nov 2, 2006
Be Captivated with Rice Terraces - Part 2
Written Nov 5, 2006
Walk about town of Banaue
Written Nov 7, 2006
From Viewpoint, Stairways down, you will see .....
myspices' Related Pages
Banaue Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The world famous ancient rice terraces."
- "Stairway to Heaven"
- "Top of the Philippines"
- "Banaue - Comfortably Cold!"
- "Banaue - The Eighth Wonder of the World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banaue
- Hotels in Banaue
- Transportation in Banaue
- Nightlife in Banaue
- Restaurants in Banaue
- Shopping in Banaue
- Warnings and Dangers in Banaue
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banaue
- 25 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Banaue?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banaue
- Posted in Travel Chengdu Forum "Re: Kangding & Luding"
- updated a Banaue Travelogue "From Viewpoint, Stairways down, you will see ....."
- Uploaded a Photo to "From Viewpoint, Stairways down, you will see ....."
- Wrote a Review Tourist Information Centre in Banaue Favorites
Photos in BanaueSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 72 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Liuzhou Intro, 38 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nanning Intro, 36 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 46 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigan Intro, 32 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ubud Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sagada Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dazhai Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Baguio Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues