"Laoag - Something interesting here too.." Top 5 Page for this destination Laoag by myspices
Laoag Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 112 photos
Laoag (pronounced as "la-wak"), the capital city, is in the province of Ilocos Norte. Laoag means "light" in the Ilocano dialect. It is rich in heritage and blessed with a fair bit of cultures - old churches of Catholic influences which has some impact on the Filipino way of life. Laoag was established in 1580 with Sir William as its Patron Saint.
Laoag was previously renowed for its gold mines - as such, many Chinese and Japanese traders ply this "golden area" for fortunes. Today, Laoag is a busy city with its share of heavy traffics of tricycles, kalesas, jeepneys, bikes and motor vehicles.
Most tourists are from Taiwan due to its proximity. We made our way to Laoag on a last minute plan as we were traveling up North from Clark, Pampanga to Vigan. As Laoag is only about 2hours away from Vigan and so happened we were on a bus bound for Laoag, we decided that we should pay a visit to Laoag (Batac, Paoay too) at least spend a good half day here... It was a good decision made...
Notes : Laoag is 380km from Angeles City
Must DOs in Laoag
1) St.William's Cathedral
2) Sinking Bell Tower
3) Museo Ilocos Norte
4) Taste Laoag's local specialities : "bagnet", "pinakbet" and "pancit molo"
Vicinity of Laoag
BATAC - Must DOs - Pls see INDIVIDUAL TRAVEL PAGE on BATAC
1) Maros Museum and Mausoleum
2) Marcos Monument
3) Iglesia Filipinia Indepence Church
4) Batac Church
PAOAY - Must DOs - Pls refer INDIVIDUAL TRAVEL PAGE on PAOAY
1) Paoay Church - which is included on UNESCO's World Heritage list
2) Suba Beach
3) Paoay Lake
4) Malacanang of the North
5) Gilbert Bridge
The sinking Bell Tower located right in the centre of the town of Laoag..
St.William's Cathedral (also called Church of Laoag) is located across the street from the Sinking Bell Tower.
- Pros:Rich in history - the Sinking Bell Tower
- Cons:too short a time to notice ....
- In a nutshell:Don't miss this if you are on your way up North...
Gilbert Bridge is built across Laoag river and connects Laoag to Batac (14km), Paoay (16km), Vigan (80km) and Manila... more travel advice
From Laoag Partas station, we caught an A/C Partas bus to Vigan at 2.50pm. In order to get Laoag Partas station (make... more travel advice
myspices' Related Pages
Laoag Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laoag - Something interesting here too.."
- "Laoag City"
- "Laoag City..the Marcos county.."
- "BUSTLING LAOAG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laoag
- Hotels in Laoag
- Transportation in Laoag
- Nightlife in Laoag
- Restaurants in Laoag
- Shopping in Laoag
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Laoag
- 8 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Laoag?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laoag
Photos in LaoagSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 72 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Liuzhou Intro, 38 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nanning Intro, 36 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 46 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigan Intro, 32 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ubud Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sagada Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dazhai Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Baguio Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Latest Laoag hotel reviews
- Fort Ilocandia Hotel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Northview Hotel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Java Hotel
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Hotel Tiffany Laoag
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Palazzo De Laoag Hotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Ilocos Norte Hotel & Convention Center
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013