"Vientiane - Capital with lots of Wats" Vientiane by myspices
Vientiane Travel Guide: 759 reviews and 1,712 photos
Vientiane (pronounced as "Viang Chan" in Laos) is the capital city of Laos. "Viang" means city and "Chan" means sandalwood. It is now a city flled with foreigners - sometimes along the main street, you will see more foreigners than Lao people ...foods are no longer cheap. Most Lao speak a word or two of English - so it's a pretty easy place to travel.
The first thing I noticed when I touched down Vientiane, Loas is a relaxed and non-harrasing feeling - "stressfree" - as the people are not aggressive - even the touts - they do not push you into buying/taking up their tour packages or taking up their lodgings. You will have time to think and get yourself orientated and move to find your way.
Most of the places of interests are within walking distance or by bicycles and if not, you can easily catch the jumbo or the tuk-tuk which are a plenty around the town. The main bus station is near to Talat Sao market where the intercities buses are found.
You can see Mekong River in the centre city of Vientiane and having your meals along the restaurants during the evening, watching the sunset does give you a relaxed and easy going feeling. To add to that, you can find lots of cafes and bars too. Infact, lodges and food are found mainly along or near to the Mekong riverside.
Date of Travel : 9Sep to 16Sep 2008
Travelmates : Harry and Carrie
Day 1 (9Sep,Tue): KL to Vientiane @ 9.05am flight. Arrival at Wattay Airport, Vientiane at 10.40am (local time) . O/nite Vientiane
Day 2 (10Sep, Wed) : Bus to VangVieng at 2pm. Arrival VangVieng at 6pm. Onite VangVieng
Day3 (11Sep, Thu): VangVieng . O/nite VangVieng
Day4 (12Sep, Fri) : Bus to LuangPrabang at 10am. Arrival LuangPrabang at 4.40pm. O/nite LuangPrabang
Day5 (13Sep, Sat) : LuangPrabang . O/nite LuangPrabang
Day6 (14Sep, Sun) : LuangPrabang. Night bus to Vientiane at 8.30pm
Day7 (15Sep, Mon) :Arrival Vientiane at 7am. O/nite Vientiane
Day8(16Sep, Tue) : Depart Vientiane for KL at 11.10am. Arrival KL at 2.45pm (local time)
Places of Interests in Vientiane which I have visited :-
1) Patuxai "Arc de Triomphe of Vientiane"
2) Phat That Luang (Chedi Lokajulamani) "World-Precious Sacred Stupa"
3) Wat Si Saket
4) Wat Haw Pha Kaeo
5) Wat Si Muang
6) That Dam "Black Stupa"
7) Xieng Khuan - Buddha Park
8) Lao National Museum - pass by as it was closed for renovation
9) Presidential Palace
10) Talat Sao Market
11) Mekong River
12) Many wats : Wat Ong Teu Mahawihan, Wat Mixai, Wat Hai Sok and Wat In Paeng
For ambience, have your meals at the Mekong Deck where you find lots of stalls selling almost the same food - BBQ of various, the most famous being the grilled tilapia fish. You can find squids, prawns, pork, chicken all BBQ to a delicious aroma that you cannot resist - more so if you are going to drown them with bottles of Beer Lao. Get your hands into some sticky rice and the salivating papaya salad -yummy!. Watch the sunset near the Mekong - and feel romantic again!
If you go during noon or during a hot day, Pha That Luang, the World-Precious Sacred Stupa is going to almost "blind" you. The monument is completedly painted in gold and it's so shiny. It's a little away from the centre of the city so it's best to get there by cycle or in a jumbo or tuk-tuk.
- Pros:Easy to move around, a relaxing place to be in ...
- Cons:Food is expensive ...
- In a nutshell:A good retreat.
If you want to get some good pictures of the town, i suggest you go up the Patuxai. Cost : 3,000kips and there are two... more travel advice
Most of the authentic Lao food can be found at the road side stalls. The vendors prepare the food in the most... more travel advice
myspices' Related Pages
Vientiane Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "back to Vieng Chan"
- "Vientiane: Titch vs. the Mozzies"
- "Vientiane, capital of tranquility"
- "Vientaine - Capital City of Laos"
- "Bank Training Project - Bank of Lao PDR"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vientiane
- Hotels in Vientiane
- Transportation in Vientiane
- Nightlife in Vientiane
- Restaurants in Vientiane
- Shopping in Vientiane
- Warnings and Dangers in Vientiane
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vientiane
- 14 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Vientiane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vientiane
- Posted in Travel Chengdu Forum "Re: Kangding & Luding"
- created a Vientiane Travelogue "Appreciating Patuxai - the Victory Arch"
- Wrote a Review Patuxai - Great Pics at the top in Vientiane Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Patuxai - Arc de Triomphe in Vientiane"
- Commented on one of picek's Vientiane travel pages
Photos in VientianeSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 72 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Liuzhou Intro, 38 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nanning Intro, 36 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 46 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigan Intro, 32 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ubud Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sagada Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dazhai Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Baguio Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues