"Uluwatu - it's about Sunset" Uluwatu by myspices
Uluwatu Travel Guide: 236 reviews and 641 photos
Yes, we went there specifically for the sunset - Uluwatu, more appropriately Pura Luhur Ulu Watu, is known for the bursting sunset with the temple perched at the edge of a cliff as the backdrop.
Pura Uluwatu, located at the tip of southwestern tip of the peninsula, is one of the most frequented and important sea spirited temples, another being the Tanah Lot temple. The 11th century temple was built by the Javanese priest Empu Kuturan and further by Nirartha, another Javanese priest.
The Pura Luhur Ulu Watu, perched on top of a almost 90 degrees cliff top appears to be so picturesque. Tourists are not allowed to enter the pura but you can climb up the slopes towards the pura and enjoy the breeze and the scenery near the compounds of the pura. Usually at about 6pm, you will find that the surroundings of Uluwatu being crowded with tourists, each hoping to get the glimpse of the beautiful sunset which Uluwatu is renowed for. On a good weather, sunset is at 6.30pm and will last till 7pm. We were lucky that we had a good share of the colourful sunset on our day of visit.... How blessed!
Uluwatu being known not only for the sunset but for the "notorious" monkeys...beware of your ear-rings, hair bands, spectacles and chains. These monkey are "street-snatchers" - they can become very notorious and fierce!
- Pros:you want to feel romantic again ? - Go Uluwatu
- Cons:beware of notorious monkeys
- In a nutshell:ah... it is really a "postcard" - awesome!
While waiting for the sunset, you can also make friends with the monkeys. Of course, the trick is to buy a packet of... more travel advice
Here's a close-up picture of the "little" pura (temple) which has drawn so much attention and so popularly photographed.... more travel advice
myspices' Related Pages
Uluwatu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There just something about Uluwatu!!"
- "Uluwatu - Cliffhanger Temple & Nasty Monkeys"
- "The southern part of Bali"
- "Uluwatu - Dreamland"
- "garden of the Gods in southern part ...."
- "Hanging Temple of Uluwatu"
- "Uluwatu - it's about Sunset"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uluwatu
- Hotels in Uluwatu
- Transportation in Uluwatu
- Nightlife in Uluwatu
- Restaurants in Uluwatu
- Shopping in Uluwatu
- Warnings and Dangers in Uluwatu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uluwatu
- 9 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Uluwatu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uluwatu
Photos in UluwatuSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yangshuo Intro, 72 reviews, 194 photos, 5 travelogues
- Liuzhou Intro, 38 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nanning Intro, 36 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 46 reviews, 113 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vigan Intro, 32 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ubud Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sagada Intro, 32 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dazhai Intro, 35 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Baguio Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues