Kuressaare Things to Do Tips by js77 Top 5 Page for this destination
Kuressaare Things to Do: 23 reviews and 48 photos
This monument is built to commemorate the islanders who lost their lifes fighting for the indendence of Estonia in 1918-1920. It was twice demolished by Soviet authorities (in 1940 and in 1945). It's not surprising Soviets didn't like it - Estonian War for Independence was against Bolsheviks.
It is a pleasure to walk around the one of most beautiful towns of Estonia. There are very few houses which are from Soviet times or newer. So, nothing much has changed in architecture in past 50-100 years, I suppose. The centre of town is quite small (what else can you expect of a town with population of 15 000?) and it will not take much time.
This Lutheran church was built in 17th century, but it was destroyed by fire. The church you can see now is built few centuries later.
This 17th century house is most beautiful and probably one of the oldest buildings in Kuressaare. It is located in the central square of the town, so you will not miss it if you will take a walk through the town.
This 14th century castle in my opinion is the best example of medieval castle architecture in Baltics. That’s because many of survived castles here has been rebuilt in later centuries, but that's not the case for Kuressaare castle. It belonged to Bishop of Osel-Wiek who in 13th-16th century had his own feudal state - in modern Western part of Estonian mainland and in part of Saaremaa and Hiiumaa islands. Unfortunately there is very little information in many halls of the castle, so probably it is better to take a guide there - I hope it is possible to hire one there. I was a little bit disapointed after seeing whole castle and not getting enough knowledge about it.
js77's Related Pages
Kuressaare Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Edge of Nowhere"
- "Capital City of Saaremaa Island"
- "Kuressaare, Estonia"
- "Knighty Kuressaare"
- "Little Capital of Saaremaa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuressaare
- Hotels in Kuressaare
- Transportation in Kuressaare
- Restaurants in Kuressaare
- Shopping in Kuressaare
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuressaare
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake Wylie Hotels
- Butuan City
- Kejimkujik National Park Hotels
- Yanuya Island Hotels
- Long Point Key Hotels
Badges & Stats in Kuressaare
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kuressaare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuressaare
Photos in KuressaareSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saaremaa Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Esfahan Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glendalough Lakes Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Limbazi Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos
- Yazd Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Drogheda Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Kashan Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Tehran Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuressaare Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Mazsalaca Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos