"Cheonan & other South Korean Sights to see" Ch'onan by hindu1936
Ch'onan Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 48 photos
In Hangul it would be read as Cheon An. I have lived here for 10 years. Cheonan is a thriving city 84 kilometers south of Seoul and accessed by excellent train, bus, and subway system. The N0. 1 line out of Seoul now comes all the way to Cheonan. It also has one of the few KTX (super fast bullet train) stops. Located in easy distance is the Independence Hall, the largest sitting Budhha in Korea, and several small temples worth looking at. The main attraction about Cheonan though is that it is so easy to get from here to anywhere else without fighting the crowds. Hotels will cost half what they do in Seoul. If you have a week, it will save you money to stay here and just commute on the subway (about $2.25) to Seoul.
Head west out of Cheonan on Hwy. 21 through Asan to Yesan and you will find signs to Seodeok-sa. This is one of the most impressive and historic temples in the area. Lots of parking, The souvenir shop operators will not bother you until you stop to look. Most of the time the shop owners in Korea are polite. Once you stop to look, however, the pressure to buy is on. This is not a temple for the handicapped. The road up from the parking lot is steep and the walkways through the various parts of the temple are even steeper. The trails to the upper reaches require a lot of hard walking.
Of the many customs honored by Buddhists one of particular interest is the placing of a stone onto a pile of other stones to enhance the chance that a prayer will be answered. Wherever you find a Buddhist Temple you will find these small piles of stones. Please do not remove one thinking it would be a good souvenir. Yes, I know YOU won't, but many people whose belief system is not Buddhist will take a stone believing that no harm is done.
- Pros:Moderate size city offering everything.
- In a nutshell:The best city in Korea
Located right in the heart of Cheonan are so many places to eat that choosing one can leave you befuddled. Life can be... more travel advice
About 2 hours west of Cheonan on hywy 21 is the small island of Anmyeon. During the early spring-May-June there are... more travel advice
hindu1936's Related Pages
Ch'onan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My living city Cheonan"
- "Cheonan & other South Korean Sights to see"
- "My living town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ch'onan
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Ch'onan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ch'onan
- updated a Ch'onan Travel Page "Cheonan & other South Korean Sights to see"
- Posted in Travel South Korea Forum "Re: Travel Advise"
- Commented on one of jckim's Ch'onan travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cheonan & other South Korean Sights to see"
- Wrote a Review good food, low price in Ch'onan Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- South Korea Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Oregon Intro, 9 reviews, 33 photos
- Ch'onan Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Seoul Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Victoria 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Bath Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Beijing Shi 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Koje-do Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Canterbury Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- London Intro, 1 review, 6 photos