"Where the Two Rivers Merge into the Nile" Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum by BorneoGrrl

Khartoum Travel Guide: 357 reviews and 772 photos

Welcome to Khartoum

When I first found out that I was going to Sudan, I had no idea what was waiting for me. I had romantic notions that was attached to the River Nile and at the same time, I had fears of the unknown. This was because my initial trip was postponed due to the riots in Aug 2005. Nevertheless, I still had positive thoughts of my stay because I always say "why make life more difficult than it is?"

Khartoum is where the Blue Nile and the White Nile merge to become the infamous River Nile that flows upwards to Egypt and into the the Mediterranean. Living in Khartoum is not as bad as I thought it would be. Once you meet the friendly people and start wandering into the rest of the city, you will get comfortable.

As a matter of fact, I've had some serious fun here than I did in a while. It's all mind over matter. I've made many new friends and learned another culture. I can say that once you've overcomed the fear of the unknown and go with the flow, life is a whole lot better than you think

Greater Khartoum, the largest city in the country, has a population of about six million. There is a mix of Sudanese tribes or groups from all over Sudan and internationals that make up the residents. Not all Sudanese are dark skinned, some of them are also fair. They are migrants from neighbouring countries e.g Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, who have settled in the city and became Sudan nationals.

Khartoum's Future?

I saw this poster of Khartoum's new skyline in the VIP lounge at the airport. It looks simply awesome and modern (if you've been to Khartoum, you will understand)

This area is situated in Mogran, near where the two Niles merge into one. What an address!!

Sandstorm!!

When in Khartoum, get ready for sandstorms, especially in the summer months. They will disrupt flights, get in just about anything and make you feel uncomfortable.

• Pros:Khartoum is pretty much safe
  • Cons:Things are much different here
  • In a nutshell:Expect the worst and you'll be pleasantly surprised
  • Last visit to Khartoum: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 23, 2009

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Great page Valerie!

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2009 at 8:57 AM

The place sounds great. The restaurants sound interesting especially the goat and the keep you awake all night coffee. All the best from the UK

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I just want to cruise the Nile and lounge in that beach cabana - with your Panda, of course. How did you get that sandstorm photo and then escape it? Beautiful photos/detail - grazie <(•¿•)>

• GlobeTrekr's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Khartoum sounds so exotic! How was living there and how long were you there?

• Jul 13, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Hi, I was born in originally Khartoum but grew up and now live in London, UK-- I was wonder when the last time you were in khartoum and how much it change from 2007 (you see the last time i was there was oct 2007) as I'm planning on going there soon.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Saw and enjoy , thanks for your Khartoum page.

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Wow, that Sandstorm picture is Far-Out!!! What are you doing in Africa?!

• alywang's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Hi,Valerie! your pages about Khartoum look great!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Interesting look at a place few Americans know, Valerie. :)

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 12:50 AM

Hotels seem overpriced for what they offer

BorneoGrrl Used To Live Here!

BorneoGrrl

“Everyday is an opportunity for adventure”

Badges & Stats in Khartoum

Have you been to Khartoum?

Latest Activity in Khartoum