"Where the Two Rivers Merge into the Nile" Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum by BorneoGrrl
Khartoum Travel Guide: 352 reviews and 749 photos
When I first found out that I was going to Sudan, I had no idea what was waiting for me. I had romantic notions that was attached to the River Nile and at the same time, I had fears of the unknown. This was because my initial trip was postponed due to the riots in Aug 2005. Nevertheless, I still had positive thoughts of my stay because I always say "why make life more difficult than it is?"
Khartoum is where the Blue Nile and the White Nile merge to become the infamous River Nile that flows upwards to Egypt and into the the Mediterranean. Living in Khartoum is not as bad as I thought it would be. Once you meet the friendly people and start wandering into the rest of the city, you will get comfortable.
As a matter of fact, I've had some serious fun here than I did in a while. It's all mind over matter. I've made many new friends and learned another culture. I can say that once you've overcomed the fear of the unknown and go with the flow, life is a whole lot better than you think
Greater Khartoum, the largest city in the country, has a population of about six million. There is a mix of Sudanese tribes or groups from all over Sudan and internationals that make up the residents. Not all Sudanese are dark skinned, some of them are also fair. They are migrants from neighbouring countries e.g Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, who have settled in the city and became Sudan nationals.
I saw this poster of Khartoum's new skyline in the VIP lounge at the airport. It looks simply awesome and modern (if you've been to Khartoum, you will understand)
This area is situated in Mogran, near where the two Niles merge into one. What an address!!
When in Khartoum, get ready for sandstorms, especially in the summer months. They will disrupt flights, get in just about anything and make you feel uncomfortable.
- Pros:Khartoum is pretty much safe
- Cons:Things are much different here
- In a nutshell:Expect the worst and you'll be pleasantly surprised
The coffee culture is picking up in Khartoum and Babanga Cafe is another place where you can enjoy hot & cold espresso... more travel advice
Having enough of local food, I was craving for some Asian food and pork. The Korean restaurant in Africa Hotel serves... more travel advice
- See All No credit cards, cash only
- See All Cruising along the Nile
- See All The local boatyard in Omdurman
- See All Bring your favorite foods
- See All Picnic in the Park
BorneoGrrl's Related Pages
Khartoum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where the Two Rivers Merge into the Nile"
- "Where Africa and Arabia meet at the Nile"
- "Where The Two Niles Meet"
- "Elephant Trunk"
- "Discovering Khartoum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khartoum
- Hotels in Khartoum
- Transportation in Khartoum
- Nightlife in Khartoum
- Restaurants in Khartoum
- Shopping in Khartoum
- Warnings and Dangers in Khartoum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khartoum
- 53 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Khartoum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khartoum
Photos in KhartoumSee All Photos (78)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 53 reviews, 78 photos
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos
- Kuching Intro, 29 reviews, 45 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos
- Dubai Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Florence Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos
Latest Khartoum hotel reviews
- 5M Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2012
- Regency Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Burj Al-Fateh Hotel
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Grand Holiday Villa Khartoum
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2013
- Hilton Khartoum
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Al Salam Rotana Hotel
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013