"Ancient Meroe" Meroe by BorneoGrrl
Meroe Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 167 photos
About 200 km north-east of Khartoum, near Bagrawiya, you can find a hill where a few dozen pyramids spread over a small area. The pyramids, much smaller than their well-known counterparts in Egypt, are the remains of a royal cemetery from the Meroitic kingdom (between 300 B.C. and 300 A.D.).
These pyramids have been left unprotected for a long time and experienced severe damage by the steady action of winds and dust storms over the decades of this century.
You won't get any souvenir shops at Meroe Pyramids but if you would like to take home something, you can buy from some... more travel advice
I've been told that the pyramids in Meroe is even older than those in Egypt and so I had to go and see them myself. The... more travel advice
BorneoGrrl's Related Pages
Meroe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kush Kingdom"
- "The pyramids"
- "The Pyramids of Meroe, at Bajrawiya"
- "Ancient Meroe"
- "Meroe Pyramids"
- "Merowe [not Meroe]"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meroe
- Hotels in Meroe
- Transportation in Meroe
- Restaurants in Meroe
- Shopping in Meroe
- Warnings and Dangers in Meroe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meroe
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Meroe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meroe
Photos in MeroeSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 53 reviews, 78 photos
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos
- Kuching Intro, 29 reviews, 45 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos
- Dubai Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Florence Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos