"In the Shadows of Mt Kilimanjaro" Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park by BorneoGrrl
Amboseli National Park Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 373 photos
You can imagine my excitement to finally be able to personally see the mighty Mt Kilimajaro in all its glory. Coming to Amboseli National Park has made it all possible and I was more than thrilled. Amboseli National Park is located north west of Mt Kilimanjaro and borders with Tanzania. For your information, the mountain sits in Tanzania, not in Kenya.
Compared to the Masai Mara, Amboseli National Park is much drier & dustier but you cannot imagine the number of wildlife in this game reserve. You're spoilt for choice because everywhere you turn, there are animals, animals, animals. However, the illusive creatures like the lion, cheetah & leopards are not so eager to reveal themselves.
When you cross Lake Amboseli during the drier season, it is reminiscent of driving over a desert plain because the lake is so huge & there's not a drop of water but when it rains, it floods and fills up the temporary lake.
My first balloon ride ever! It was so worth it to get up in the wee hours of the morning to take flight over the Amboseli plains and watch the morning sun pour over the peaks of Mt Kilimanjaro. Unforgettable!
Traffic is a little different in Amboseli National Park. I saw this cute zebra crossing the road without so much as a care to all the vehicles that criss-cross the game park looking out for the big 5. Check out my Spotted Zebra in my Things To Do!
Follow the rules and stop the vehicle at a zebra crossing :-)
- Pros:Scenic and full of life
- Cons:Some roads are in bad conditions & is very dusty
- In a nutshell:Amazed at Amboseli and Mt Kilimajaro
We were told not to simply photograph the Maasai people while we were in Kenya. This had something to do with their... more travel advice
The shop at Amboseli Serena Lodge has a good selection of souvenirs and some essential items. The prices are... more travel advice
BorneoGrrl's Related Pages
Amboseli National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the Shadows of Mt Kilimanjaro"
- "AMBOSELI: DUST BOWL & SWAMP!"
- "In the shadow of the Kilimanjaro"
- "On the foot of Kilimanjaro"
- "Amboseli National Park"
- "Elephants of Amboseli"
- "AMBOSELI 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amboseli National Park
- Hotels in Amboseli National Park
- Transportation in Amboseli National Park
- Nightlife in Amboseli National Park
- Restaurants in Amboseli National Park
- Shopping in Amboseli National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Amboseli National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amboseli National Park
- 24 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Amboseli National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amboseli National Park
Photos in Amboseli National ParkSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 53 reviews, 78 photos
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos
- Kuching Intro, 29 reviews, 45 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos
- Dubai Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Florence Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos