"Gateway to Angkor" Siem Reap by BorneoGrrl
Siem Reap Travel Guide: 557 reviews and 1,980 photos
Siem Reap, means the 'Defeat of Siam' and is the gateway to the Angkor Archaeological Park, and other heritage attractions. The town is centered around the Siem Reap river and has several French colonial buildings. The busy part of town is located around the Old Market or Psar Chas where you can find small hotels, shopping areas and nightspots.
Siem Reap is a cool and pretty laid back place. It is relatively inexpensive (for now) but yet you can find some world class restaurants & hotels. When "templed out", Siem Reap is a great place to explore or simply chill out at one of the many entertainment or hospitality spots. Other than visiting historical locations, there are a number of charitable organisations operating here where you can offer yourself as a volunteer.
Despite the heat, humidity and the being "templed out", the Angkor Kingdom and Cambodian people left me with such an impact that it became one of my favorite places in the world. So, I've since returned in 2011 and I may very well come back again in the future.
- Pros:Plenty to do, friendly people and world class hospitality
- Cons:Going to be developed & commercialized soon
- In a nutshell:Laid back and chilled out town
Father's Restaurant is a great place to try out the Khmer cuisine because there is a variety of local favorites and more... more travel advice
The Blue Pumpkin is a franchise located at several locations in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. The one I went to is located... more travel advice
BorneoGrrl's Related Pages
Siem Reap Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Siem Reap - The Great Gate to Angkor"
- "Interesting Town, Close to Angkor Wat"
- "Portal for Angkor Temple Complex But Nice Itself"
- "Siem Reap - Gateway to Angkor"
- "Siem Reap"
- "Siem Reap"
- "SIEM REAP"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siem Reap
- Hotels in Siem Reap
- Transportation in Siem Reap
- Nightlife in Siem Reap
- Restaurants in Siem Reap
- Shopping in Siem Reap
- Warnings and Dangers in Siem Reap
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siem Reap
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Siem Reap?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siem Reap
Photos in Siem ReapSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 53 reviews, 78 photos
- Athens Intro, 34 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 35 reviews, 44 photos
- Kuching Intro, 29 reviews, 45 photos
- Vienna Intro, 29 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 24 reviews, 38 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 23 reviews, 30 photos
- Dubai Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Florence Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos