"Riyadh..." Top 5 Page for this destination Riyadh by toni28

Riyadh Travel Guide: 566 reviews and 1,125 photos

Modern City

In the past 30 years Riyadh has, like many other Middle East cities, exploded into a modern, vibrant commercial centre with many Western characteristics. This rapid growth is also reflected in the population, which has boomed from 667,000 in 1974 to more than 5 million today. In many ways, it resembles a modern American city, with motorways and flyovers, international hotels, high-rise blocks and neon-blazing shopping malls.

The skyline is dominated by two new skyscrapers: the Kingdom Trade Centre is the tallest building here in riyadh at 300 m, and the well-established Al Faisaliah tower. Both towers are situated between the parallel King Fahad highway and Olaya St.

Living in Saudi arabia

Living in Saudi Arabia with my family was unexpected and unplanned, this was a big surprise and adjustment for my family. I’m very thankful thou because this was a great and wonderful blessing for us. But I know that this is only our temporary home....

I never realized living in Saudi would open a great opportunity for my family to learn and understand different cultures in the world. Also there are other opportunities to easily visit the other countries in Middle East and Europe..

I hope my stories here would give an idea, for those who are planning to live and work in Riyadh, what possible experience(s) they may face here. All my tips on this page were just based on my actual experiences, these may not be the same with others, I am just happy to share these...

For more information about Riyadh please visit this web site and for other queries about accommodation, you can visit Riyadh Expatriates

Moving forward in Riyadh

We adjusted during our first 3 months here. Some adjustments were as fallows:

Abbaya- wearing an abbaya in public places was a new experience, it took me sometime to adjust to it.

The Foods- our first meal in Riyadh were burgers and chicken from Mcdonalds, the taste was little bit different compare to Phil. Mcdonalds. And our next meal on a next day was
Kabsa the local food that my husband bought, (chicken and lamb with the local rice).
The chicken was good but the rice taste strange. My husband encouraged me to try the Kabsa which I did. After eating a couple of times I adjusted and learned to like the taste.
There are many supermarket and malls in Riyadh, where you can buy all local foods and if you want to eat Asian and Western foods, these are available in many restaurant in Riyadh.

The weather- Riyadh climate is very dry; in our experience, it is advisable to have a humidifier at home to avoid skin dryness, rashes and allergies. Use of lotion is also highly recommended.

The Road- One the challenges was remembering road or street names because the names are Arabic which are new to us. The helpful land marks are the Kingdom Tower and Faisalia you can see this towers from a distance which guides most of the drivers finding the right directions. It took a month before my husband has learnt the road's names and directions, now it easy for him to go around the city with out getting lost

• Pros:high income, lots of opportunities
  • Cons:hot and dry weather conditons, extreme heat in summer
  • In a nutshell:A country has wealth of oil and gold
  • Intro Updated Mar 12, 2009

• Aug 4, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Snow world at Riyadh??? Nice tip. Where can I find the exact location?

Try to check my new site www.MyProds.com

• Aug 3, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Bee Won has been closed for renovation - expecting to open early september. Does anyone know of any other Korean restaurants in Riyadh?

• navygalaxy's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Hi! toni, I have a friend there & he have a newly opened resto in Centria mall, I want 2 send him something as a surprise, but I dnt knw d exact add of d mall, can u help me? d name of d resto is Z Noodles in d 2nd flr, I guess...

• edwinic's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2008 at 7:58 PM

hi toni, did you forget the lebanese restaurant, or am i blind? Nice review, I see that you found gem in an otherwise boring place!

• Nov 2, 2008 at 4:30 AM

hi, toni. pede po makuha directions papuntang snow world, we live in thalateen (near the faisalliah tower). tnx po. azr1898@yahoo.com

• AlAmira's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2008 at 4:45 AM

I really enjoy your tips and I didnt know there was a snow in Riyadh ;) Coming soon so I hope we can talk sometimes, all the best! Amira

• Morrion's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 7:23 AM

Excellent tips and pics Toni, I arrive in Riyadh next week and your info will help greatly. Maraming salamat.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Hi, Toni! Thanx for your useful tips on this faraway country! It became clearer to me now!

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Maulan na kasi d2 sa atin and i need a reminder of the hot summer sun!

• shintarojon's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 5:00 AM

lapit na ang bday mo....

toni28 Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Riyadh