"Boarder town to DPRK" Dandong by DSwede
Dandong Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 88 photos
Dandong is a thriving Chinese city located just over the Yalu River from North Korean town of Sinuiji.
Dandong is as different from the opposite bank of the river as one can imagine. Despite the historical ties that bind the two together, today, China and DPRK have evolved quite differently.
China was a strong communist state, just as DPRK was. They even fought side by side during the Korean War. However, China as opened its mind and eyes to the outside world. They have embraced competitive industry, tourism, and much more personal freedoms than their Korean neighbors.
Nothing can show this difference as simply as looking from the river banks to the prosperity, vitality and movement on the Chinese side. On the opposite side, there is little to no motion, reminding you more of a ghost town if nothing else.
At night, the bridges that span the river and illuminated by the Chinese until the mid-span. After that, all is dark. On a calm night, if you did not know any better, you would not think you are looking over a river, but rather looking into the vast emptiness of an ocean at night.
For more general thoughts on my visits, feel free to visit both my China pages and my North Korea (DPRK) pages.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my China Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:The evidence of the war and the DPRK situation is everywhere.
- Cons:Unless you have aquired onward DPRK Visa's, this may be the end of the road for you.
- In a nutshell:At no other place is the disparity of DPRK's (non) existance and Chinese prosperity so palpable!
There is a ~4 block section near the central area called "Walking Street", or at least that's what the translation of... more travel advice
If you venture outside of Dandong to the Tiger Hill section of the Great Wall and to the "One Step" section of the... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Dandong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dandong; China's Back Door to North Korea"
- "tianqiao gou mountains"
- "On the border with North Korea"
- "Boarder town to DPRK"
- "A peaceful town with very friendly people"
- "Gently Turning One's Existence Upside Down"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dandong
- Hotels in Dandong
- Transportation in Dandong
- Nightlife in Dandong
- Restaurants in Dandong
- Shopping in Dandong
- Warnings and Dangers in Dandong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dandong
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Dandong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dandong
Photos in DandongSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos