"Confused in Qufu" Top 5 Page for this destination Qufu by DSwede
Qufu Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 318 photos
OK, similar to my visits to Beijing and Xi'an, I was working in Qingdao and still had no workers due to the Lunar New Year. Despite the managers assurances that they would return many days before.
So what did I do, I grabbed a map and tried to find something both close and interesting. That's when I found Qufu.
Being ~4hours overland from Qingdao it was relatively easy to get to, however halfway during my visit a snow storm rolled in so the trip back took over 7 hours. But I survived all the iced roads, the frozen rest stops and the near-blizzard conditions.
Qufu is the ancient home of Confucius, and the Kong family. (note the similarity here... KONG -- CONfucius) There are still some of the lineage living there today, but much of the limelight has passed from the ancient days.
Out of the north city gate is the cemetery, know as Confucius Forest. There are over 100,000 tombs going back over 2500 years since Confucius himself was buried there.
Qufu, I'm told, is a small town, tipping the scales at a over 100k people. There is an old city wall, wherein lies the sites of Confucius' Temple and Mansion.
In the heart of the old city, these sites are among the largest temples you can visit anywhere. And I must say that they were rather well maintained too.
[OK, did I mention the snow storm?!? See the photo and the one above... they were about 10 minutes apart, the drive home was fun... This was one of the last photos I could take before the visibility went to zero]
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my China Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
Also, please see my China page for more general comments.
- Pros:Its just far enough away that you won't have to compete with (foreign) tourists.
- Cons:While visiting the sites, the information placards are not always available in any language other than Chinese.
- In a nutshell:I picturesque town, still more untouched from the standard modernization than most of China.
Qufu is a small city and might be as developed as most that tourists go to. Therefore taxis, busses, etc are much more... more travel advice
1) The 'former dwelling' is basically an outdoor museum, done up with old-style facades and decorations. It was not... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Qufu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the Family of Confucius"
- "Confused in Qufu"
- "Home of Confucius"
- "Qufu - Hometown of Confucius"
- "Confucius Temple"
- "Pictures Coming..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Qufu
- Hotels in Qufu
- Transportation in Qufu
- Restaurants in Qufu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qufu
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Qufu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qufu
Photos in QufuSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 28 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos