"Japanese for "North Kyushu (Island)"" Top 5 Page for this destination Kitakyushu by DSwede

Kitakyushu Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 195 photos

Kitakyushu is the new city consolidating the older cities of the area, focusing around Kokura.

I visited the area after spending a few days in Fukuoka. I enjoyed the sites and had the opportunity to meet VT member Masa [ (VT’ers I’ve met (part 2)].

Among our stops:
- in the city center we walked along the Riverwalk, the Kokura Castle area, City Hall, and Tsukimi Tei.
- to the southwest of the city center, we went to the top of Mt. Sarakura by use of the inclined tram (round trip fare was 1000 yen on the Hobashira Cable car).
- we also ventured farther north to Moji area and saw the retro-district, the observatory at Mekari Park, saw the Hayatomo-no-Seto strait between the islands of Kyushu and Honshu. We also walked under the water through the Kanmon tunnel to Honshu.

Feel free to visit my Japan page for some more general thoughts on my time on the islands.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Japan Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:Its just far enough away that you won't have to compete with (foreign) tourists.
  • Cons:Closest main transporation hub is Fukuoka.
  • In a nutshell:Great vistas from the top of the mountain over a normal working city.
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2011

• cheesecake17's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2008 at 7:24 PM

great exterior page"japan gallery" what camera you use?I can not seem to view the external page for T&T..

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Japanese hotel rooms are expensive and small :)

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Kitakyushu

Have you been to Kitakyushu?

Latest Activity in Kitakyushu