"Missed the Olympics, but saw the monkeys" Nagano by DSwede
Nagano Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 184 photos
I missed the 1998 Olympics by only a few years (about 10 to be more accurate), but I did finally make it and went a bit further into the mountains and visited the famous snow monkeys.
Cute little critters. There was a small diameter plastic tube that the rangers would put treats in. It was mutually entertaining, for the monkeys to figure out how to get them out, and for us to watch the monkeys outwit each other. My favorite was when two young monkeys were probing the tube with a stick, trying to fish the goodies out. Then came grampa, who stomped them away. He reached over, grabbed a newborn, threw him in the tube until he grabbed the fruit, then yanked him out by the tail.
DSwede's Related Pages
Nagano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nagano Livin'"
- "Hakuba and Nagano City"
- "Snow Monkeys"
- "Skiing at Nagano"
- "Nagano - Snow Monkeys, Soba and Miso Ice Cream"
- "Ski The Far East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagano
- Hotels in Nagano
- Transportation in Nagano
- Nightlife in Nagano
- Restaurants in Nagano
- Shopping in Nagano
- Warnings and Dangers in Nagano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nagano
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Nagano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagano
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue