"An Old Mountain Town with some Character" Jalapa Enríquez by DSwede
Jalapa Enríquez Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 14 photos
To say that Xalapa is old may be an understatement. Admittedly, it is not as old as some other classics like Rome, but the town was originally part of the Aztec Empire. Then in the early 1500's Cortez himself passed through town on his way to conquer Tenochtitlan. The city really grew while under the Spanish rule, as a place of commerce and trade.
The colonial architecture, small streets and grid pattern (well as much of a grid is possible on a hillside) all add to its charm. It is one of my favorite towns in Mexico with a cozy, comfortable charm.
Feel free to visit my Mexico page for more on my time and visits to other places within Mexico.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Mexico Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Small cozy streets with a nice colonial feel
- Cons:Lots of hills and cobblestones, bring good shoes
- In a nutshell:Get your legs ready for walking steep hills and you'll enjoy the old town and cozy cobblestone streets.
Xalapa has a pretty healthy nightlife. With my local friends, we bar hopped all over the town. There are too many places... more travel advice
Visiting some local Mexican friends, they recommend Postodoro. It was an excellent recommendation. The restaurant was... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Jalapa Enríquez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Old Mountain Town with some Character"
- "Xalapa: My hometown in Mexico."
- "Jalapa or Xalapa in the State of Veracruz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jalapa Enríquez
- Hotels in Jalapa Enríquez
- Transportation in Jalapa Enríquez
- Nightlife in Jalapa Enríquez
- Restaurants in Jalapa Enríquez
- Shopping in Jalapa Enríquez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jalapa Enríquez
- 7 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Jalapa Enríquez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jalapa Enríquez
Photos in Jalapa EnríquezSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 28 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos