"Colonial City Nested in the Big Mountains" Oaxaca de Juárez by DSwede
Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Guide: 373 reviews and 1,047 photos
Oaxaca is a colonial city nested in the big mountains. All roads leading in and out are steep, twisted and curvy. I nearly ran out of gas in the 160km stretch of a mountainous roller coaster drive that had nothing more than a couple village cabins along the way. But with that being said, it is a beautiful area, with great vistas and lots of history, both ancient and more contemporary.
While here, I walked the town, ate way too much of the local food and enjoyed the fresh mountain air.
Like most, I went over to the Zapoteca ruins of Monte Alban, which I rather enjoyed. Aside from its cultural heritage, its placement on the high peaks in the arid mountains gives a much different experience than those in the humid jungles.
Also, on my way to the mineral deposits and cascading formations of Heirve el Agua, I found my way through the tiny town of Santa Maria del Tule to see the massive Arbol (tree) de Tule.
Feel free to visit my Mexico page for more on my time and visits to other places within Mexico.
I've placed more photos in my Mexico Gallery, so feel free to visit. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.
- Pros:Fresh air and low humidity welcome outdoor activities.
- Cons:The roads to the north and east are long and arduous through the mountains.
- In a nutshell:Fresh air, good food and old history in the high mountains.
There are no shortage of restaurants and cafes in the central areas and tourist streets. La Primavera is a cafe and... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Oaxaca"
- "Colonial City of Oaxaca"
- "Oaxaca de Juárez"
- "Oaxaca and Monte Alban"
- "Cacti and Cappuccinos"
- "City of endless stories and sights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Hotels in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Transportation in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Nightlife in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Restaurants in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Shopping in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Warnings and Dangers in Oaxaca de Juárez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oaxaca de Juárez
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Oaxaca de Juárez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Posted in Travel Launceston Forum "Re: Photography in Automobille..."
- Commented on one of Travmad's Oaxaca de Juárez travel pages
- updated a Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Page "Colonial City Nested in the Big Mountains"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Colonial City Nested in the Big Mountains"
- Wrote a Review Good local food with a view in Oaxaca de Juárez Restaurants
Photos in Oaxaca de JuárezSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 28 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos