"Colonial City Nested in the Big Mountains" Oaxaca de Juárez by DSwede

Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Guide: 372 reviews and 1,023 photos

Oaxaca is a colonial city nested in the big mountains. All roads leading in and out are steep, twisted and curvy. I nearly ran out of gas in the 160km stretch of a mountainous roller coaster drive that had nothing more than a couple village cabins along the way. But with that being said, it is a beautiful area, with great vistas and lots of history, both ancient and more contemporary.

While here, I walked the town, ate way too much of the local food and enjoyed the fresh mountain air.

Like most, I went over to the Zapoteca ruins of Monte Alban, which I rather enjoyed. Aside from its cultural heritage, its placement on the high peaks in the arid mountains gives a much different experience than those in the humid jungles.

Also, on my way to the mineral deposits and cascading formations of Heirve el Agua, I found my way through the tiny town of Santa Maria del Tule to see the massive Arbol (tree) de Tule.

Feel free to visit my Mexico page for more on my time and visits to other places within Mexico.

I've placed more photos in my Mexico Gallery, so feel free to visit. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.

• Pros:Fresh air and low humidity welcome outdoor activities.
  • Cons:The roads to the north and east are long and arduous through the mountains.
  • In a nutshell:Fresh air, good food and old history in the high mountains.
  • Intro Updated Jan 13, 2012

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Oaxaca de Juárez

Have you been to Oaxaca de Juárez?