"Pyramids in the Jungle" Palenque by DSwede
Palenque Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 728 photos
The humble town of Palenque has stood watch over the ancient Mayan ruins for a long time, despite the fact that for centuries the ruins were lost in the jungles.
The central areas of Palenque are similar to many of the other towns. The city has lots of tourist based stores for souvenirs and such, but is still a rather nondescript town.
The ruins located ~9km west of town are the main draw. The hills and jungle canopies that encompass the ruins and pyramids give it that lost world touch. It is a must see if you get to this corner of the world.
If you do make it here, you should continue to Misol Ha (see my tips) and to Agua Azul.
Feel free to visit my Mexico page for more on my time and visits to other places within Mexico.
I've placed more photos in my Mexico Gallery, so feel free to visit. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.
- Pros:The hills and jungle canopies that encompass the ruins and pyramids give it that lost world touch.
- Cons:The main town is still rather dirty and nondescript
- In a nutshell:Its a must see if you get to this corner of the world.
Don Mucho's is a landmark in Palenque. Even in the off season when most of the lodgings are empty, Don Mucho's will be... more travel advice
If you make it to Misol Ha waterfalls, you may find yourself a bit hungry or thirsty. Since the cataratas are 18km from... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Palenque Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Palenque - The Most Awesome Mayan City!"
- "Palenque, Chiapas"
- "Palenque: A Mayan Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palenque
- Hotels in Palenque
- Transportation in Palenque
- Nightlife in Palenque
- Restaurants in Palenque
- Shopping in Palenque
- Warnings and Dangers in Palenque
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palenque
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Palenque?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palenque
Photos in PalenqueSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue